The Grandparents & Rework

Rework:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Called “Halmaegot” (Grandma Flower) in Korean because of its pose, Pulsatilla koreana is one of the first wild flowers to appear each year. As there are so many old graves in the countryside, you can sometimes find this flower planted and spreading each year around a final resting place. This plant was blooming today right on the top of a grave mound, which I thought was rather nice.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

OM1 + 60mm macro 1/800 f4.5 ISO 200 11 shots bracketed

Stacked in Zerene: DMap as JPEG. Straight into Photoshop, selected the two flowers and brought out the color with Shadows and Curves. Tidied up some of the brighter grasses at the bottom.

2 Likes

Mike, Beautiful. I really like the backlighting and colors. It reminds me of a Pasque flower. The lower left blurry part distracts a little. Perhaps a bit of cropping might handle it.

Beautiful, Mike. This reminds me of some desert and alpine species around here. I really like the angle you got to let the light play in the hairs.

Gorgeous, Mike. Love the ground level perspective and the detail in the fine hairs. Your bracketing technique looks spot on, along with your handling of the flower colors. Nicely done.

Mike this is a great low perspective and amazing depth and detail of the flowers here. I love the bright fringe hairs all backlit and on fire. Nice bracketed image. I agree with @Jim_Gavin on the OOF LLC possibility of cropping, but you did a nice job toning them down.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank @Ed_Williams @linda_mellor @Jim_Gavin. I’ve cropped a little from the bottom and tidied up a bit more - rework above.

Mike, nice job on the retouch. I do love the intricate details of these hairy little flowers.

1 Like

Hi Mike–Rework is very nice, but the original made the rework go very easy. The light colored hairs provide some wonderful texture and brighten up the composition adequately. Getting close to ground level shows off the best features of these plants. Awesome…Jim

Excellent job on the rework, Mike.

It’s English name is Korean Pasque Flower.

I thought it looked familiar, Mike.

Thank you.

Wonderful image, Mike. Similar to what others have said above, my first reaction was to think that this flower looked a lot like a pasque flower, and then, of course, I read your comment explaining that it is. This pair is lovely, and beautifully presented.

Thanks, John.

Just a great job all around
Enjoyed it
Steve

Congrats on EP Mike!

Thanks @Steve_Rosendahl and @Ed_Williams - and thank you for the EP.