The hours before dawn

Mt. Hood before dawn
200mm, f5.6
I removed the Palmer Ski lift.
Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

I love that pinkish light our mountains get in the early morning. I’ve tried to shoot our Mt Bachelor in this light but never came up with a satisfactory composition. I usually look for a comp where the peak sits as a crown over some darker pines below.

I have a minor nit and that’s to crop a smidgeon off the right to eliminate that light vertical next to right frame. Or expand to the right if this is a crop. Minor stuff. A fine image.

Dan,

Absolutely LOVE the color here, depicted beautifully. Hard to offer any criticism here. Igor eludes to it, but if anything I’m wishing there was MORE! What’s outside the frame? Just have to assume some unwanted elements. But the simple beauty here works as presented.

Lon

Beautiful subtle color and light. A nice simple scene and enjoyable.

Beautiful, Dan. Love the subtle pastel light and details on the mountain. I think you could take a bit off the top to a bit below your watermark placing more emphasis on the mountain.

Dan, I thought Mt Hood would have more impact if it was more yellowish against that pink sky. So I tried to change the tint of of the mountain to see if I was right. I’m not convinced it’s better but since I went to the trouble of doing it I’m posting for you to decide.

The gentle magenta tones look great here, Dan. The ruggedness of the mountain stands out and the subtle brightness changes across the mountain and snow also work well. I’ll bet the skiers are really after you big time. :wink:

Thanks for taking the time Igor…
Not sure I like the yellow caste, I think the snow picking up the pink light works better.

I like the pinkish version the best as well, Dan. I do feel like the image looks somewhat truncated. Maybe it’s just knowing the mountain so well, I know that this is just the top 1/2, and while I like the detail and the colors, I feel like there is something conspicuously absent at the bottom.
ML

Thanks Marylynne, I appreciate the critique.
I was at the mountain with no drama in the skies but nice light early, so I put on the telephoto for a close up.
As you know, below this are huts, skiing infrastructure, (I did remove the lift), and various clutter including the lodge so I just cut if off…
Just not a lot interest below on the mountain for me.

Soft & delicate! Absolutely lovely, Dan. I wouldn’t change a thing.