The Last Leaf

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was walking around a nature center on the Big Island of Hawaii taking pictures of the landscapes and plants. I was about to leave and I noticed that the last leaf on this tree with the patterns of the color and the holes intrigued me.

Specific Feedback

I would like to have some feedback on the bokeh behind the leaf or to crop it further.

Technical Details

Nikon D5600 ISO 400 130mm f. 6.3 1/80 Hand Held

Mike, As presented, I wouldn’t crop this further. The leaf with it’s holes fills the frame well. The bit of green at the top makes a good contrast. The main vein creates a fine sweeping sense as it moves top to bottom. I assume you’re talking about the brighter “strands” in the background near the top and possibly the bit near the center. In all three cases, careful burning-in through appropriate luminosity masks will tone those down.

1 Like

Interesting difference between @Mark_Seaver and myself. Since you’re doing this as an abstract rather than flora, my inclination would have been to try to get as close as possible so all that showed was orange and holes. I don’t know how much you cropped it already, but I’d be inclined to bring it way down, if I had the pixels available.

Cool - chewed-on leaves are always interesting. My vote would be to crop further, to make this more abstract, as Dennis suggested.

As far as the background, burning those light areas wouldn’t be amiss. They’re not adding anything.

Hi Mike, I could see cropping this further if you wanted to make this more of an abstract image. If you wanted to keep the framing as is, then I would recommend desaturating and burning down the background. I like the orange and chewed up patterns in the leaf. Cool find and welcome to NPN!