The long road to Maun

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had often thought about stitching these images together, and this challenge has given me the perfect reason.
Taken a long time ago, probably the most adventurous drive of my life, through central Botswana along the eastern edge of the Kalahari desert. From the diamond mining town of Orapa to Maun at the bottom of the Okavango Delta.
No GPS, no phone, no map, just a dusty track for 200 miles and one sign at about half way. At this point the track is clear to see, but for many miles it wasn’t.
It took us two days. I remember being quite scared at times as it seemed never ending and we had no way of checking anything.
When I got back to the UK I had to put the lens in for cleaning, the guy in the shop said sarcastically; “it has a lot of dust in it, where have you been, the Sahara desert,”?
I said; “no the Kalahari actually”.
I just looked on Google Earth and it’s now tarred all the way…3 hours and 24 minutes.

Technical Details

Taken on good old 35mm film with a Contax 167MT (I still have it in a cupboard upstairs)

You’ve done a fine job of capturing the “wide open space” and the “two track” through it. The worn sign is a fun touch, that’s good for a grin. There are a couple of stitching glitches that show along the horizon, that some careful cloning should fix. Given the memories and the story, I’d be inclined to print and hang this.