The Need for Speed

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Do you feel the speed?
Can you tell that this is a Cheetah on the move?
Is it a successful shot conveying movement or distracting due to the blur?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I decided to take an artistic risk by slowing my shutter speed in the hopes that this cheetah would take off and I could catch the motion blur.

Technical Details

Canon R3, 400 mm RF lens with a 1.4 ext, shot at 560mm, handheld, F4.0, speed 1/35

Specific Feedback

I am working on a Cheetah conservation article, and all my other shots of the cats are still, eating or walking. Should I include this shot or skip it? Any other edit suggestions would also be appreciated.

1 Like

Kasey: I think this is a very well made photo of a cheetah on the move. The cheetah is sharp enough to be readily recognizable and the blurred grasses show the cheetah’s motion. My only suggestion would be to consider adding some canvas on the left.

Richard, thanks for the feedback. I will add some space on the left. Thanks so much!

You managed to convey the speed successfully, some more canvas on the RHS & bottom may help.

J- I appreciate your feedback. I will add the room you suggested.

Thanks so much.
Kasey