The next lichen + RP

A RP to remove most of the OOF branch in the BG:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

No idea what this stuff is, but I see a lot of it in winter when we have a lot of moisture to keep things growing. This little twig is about 1/4" across.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 10.13.09 AM

Focus stack of maybe 15-20. (I often shoot 25 and delete on both ends as needed.) Global tonal tweaks in LR – almost none needed here – probably pulled up Shadows a bit. Cloudy day. Minor work on the stacked image in PS, with a little BG cleanup. A little crop from top and bottom.

1 Like

This is positively jaunty! I have no nits. It brought a smile to my face.

Incredible detail, Diane. The wonders of our tiny world right before us! I am also not really sure what type of lichen this is but we have a lot of it here in the Texas hill country. I did find this web site that refers to it as Beard Lichen.

Truly fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, @Bonnie_Lampley and @linda_mellor! The gray piece is what we call Lace Lichen or Old Man’s Beard – very common here. They’re not easy to find low in the trees because the deer think they are potato chips. My Picture This app says the orange stuff is Teloschistaceae fungus.

1 Like

Great detail and color. I wish that the OOF branch along the RH side was not present. The OOF browns caught my eye. Just a very minor nit with the rest of the image being pretty awesome…Jim

1 Like

Thanks, @Jim_Zablotny – I wish it wasn’t there, too. The BG was very busy and I was able to clone out some stuff but that one was just against to too much detail. I think I can find this one again (I know which tree it was) and may just have a pair of pruners in my pocket next time. It’s a Japanese Magnolia, but in a low-maintenance landscaped area. I don’t think anybody would mind or notice some minor pruning.

1 Like

I had a go at cleaning up the BG and got a decent result – posted above. Thanks for the nudge, @Jim_Zablotny! It was tricky and tedious, but using the clone brush in Lighten mode let me get rid of most of it without resorting to microsurgery.

1 Like

Diane, the clean up is great. The original is great too. Amazing details with all the little fungi and lichen in this tiny little cosmos.

Thanks, @Ed_Williams – glad you like it! If it ever quits raining I’ll visit this tree again. The flowers are about done now, but there is a lot of interesting lichen.

Diane: The repost elevates this to sublime from merely marvelous. Great details for sure and a fascinating subject. Well seen, captured and presented. >=))>

I agree with Bill–Repost is excellent. The clean BG shows off those lichen to perfection…Jim

Thanks, @Bill_Fach and @Jim_Zablotny. I’ll revisit the tree if it ever quits raining for more than 5 minutes. It’s been a bizarre winter on the west coast. Winter is our rainy season but it usually comes in more defined waves.