The NPN iPhone app is going away

Unfortunately our iOS app will be removed from the app store sometime at the end of August. Apple is refusing to approve a new version of it because it is not significantly different than visiting the site in a browser. They are wrong because you currently can’t get notifications in a browser but you can with the app, but such is life and we have no recourse.

You do still have some options! If notifications on your phone are important to you I would recommend downloading the Discourse Hub app and adding NPN to it using this url: community.naturephotographers.network , the notifications are not as real time as the app was, but it’s something for the time being.

You can also simply visit the site in Safari and add it to your home screen by clicking the share button and select ‘add to home screen’. This currently will not give you notifications, but in the future Apple will be adding this feature.

We apologize for this inconvenience, but we simply have our hands tied by Apple until they add support for notifications.

1 Like

Well that’s not cool. Does that mean if you currently have the app it will no longer work?

1 Like

That was going to be my question too. I like the app.

1 Like

Honestly I’m not sure what will happen. I believe it will be removed from the App Store at the end of the month, but if you already have it then it may continue to work for some time, but we won’t know until it happens. Just remember that if you add it to your home screen it will function exactly the same except you won’t get notifications. I hope Apple fixes the notification issue with the upcoming iOS, so incredibly frustrating.

I’ll let you know if it isn’t working. I’m a little surprised Apple is being so rigid about this. Mobile is such an important part of their platform. Oh well…at least the website is still super cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have some good news, I was able to extend the life of the app! It will stick around for the time being but it could go away depending on the changes apple makes in this upcoming iOS update. It is certainly on life support but feel free to continue using it as long as you can!

1 Like