The Portal

The Portal

The Portal - soft

A number of years ago, @Tony_Kuyper posted a portfolio of images he’d taken of desert rock formations. Rather than presenting these images in the “natural” way, the way the human eye would see them, he allowed his camera to speak according to what it sees. What impressed me at the time was the colour his camera had exposed in the sandstone. And I suppose it was that discovery that set Tony to adding the “Make It Glow” function on subsequent TK panels. More recently, I have been inspired by some of @David_Haynes and @Igor_Doncov ’s more abstract photographs, that also seem to let the camera express colour in rock and stone that might not be immediately apparent to the human eye.

This past summer I made a pledge, not necessarily to refute my familiar approach to making photographs but to step out of my comfort zone and explore other possibilities. It has been an illuminating though also disconcerting process that has certainly shaken my confidence. I have always believed that not-knowing is the doorway to wisdom and now in my life as a photographer I am testing that hypothesis – much easier, as it turns out, to say than to do.

One of the areas I wanted to explore was this idea of “hidden” colour, which has meant a little less of me telling my camera what I want from it and instead, listening to what my camera has to offer me. In a bizarre sort of way, it is me re-imagining my camera as an intelligence worthy of my attention (much in the same way, I imagine, as indigenous peoples the world over, relate to the drum – not as a mere object but as an ensouled intelligence). I began by focusing my attention on stone, trying to find the right light and the right speed so as to allow my camera to reveal something I can only glimpse with my own eyes. However, this Fall in my latest foray into the backcountry forests of Algonquin Park, my paddling companion – not a photographer but truly an artist – kept inviting me to look at the detailed fabric of things in the forest, notably rotting wood, that I’d typically walked past. What I began to discover was that in the right light, at the right shutter speed, rotting wood is ripe with colour. It has felt to me like an invitation into another realm where death and decay becomes vibrant and, paradoxically, alive.

The feedback I’d like most is the extent to which this image elicits some kind of visceral response from the reader. Any feedback on composition and colour is also always appreciated.
P.S.: I have also posted a second version where I pulled back the clarity slider to the left and softened the image. I wear glasses when I’m working at my computer screen and realized I preferred the image with my glasses off rather than on - hence the second version. Any preference?

FYI: The colours in this photograph needed no enhancing (based on the RAW image out of the camera). In fact, I actually desaturated in certain areas for better balance.

1 Like

Nicely seen, Kerry. Love the colors as you have presented them. Also all the textures and lines pull me further into another world. Both images are wonderful, but I do seem more drawn to the “soft” version. Perhaps because I can see more of the textures. Great capture.

Looks like a scene from the Hobbit, Kerry. What I like about the image is that you made it yours with the composition and the colors. At first, I thought the colors might be too much but the more I walked through the scene, the more I found myself feeling like this is a fairy tale setting. The tree is wonderfully odd and dare I say it, welcoming. I find that I want to go into the base of that tree and set up camp for a few days. The floor, with all of the textures and colors, really invite the eye to roam. I also love that you included the OOF area in the ULC to show depth. I just love the bark of that tree. So textured. Almost like an aspen tree trunk with all of the peeling layers but it just doesn’t look like an aspen. At any rate, wonderful image and very creative. It may very well be intentional, but perhaps you could back off a little bit on the magenta hue. However, that could also be intentional. I get it.
By the way, thanks for the mention. :grin:

I can’t see a difference in the 2 versions but love this sort of image and this one in particular! The color is wonderful, for me, as is the composition and subject. I think your new explorations are wonderful and look forward to many more!