The Sentinal

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A bucket list destination of Sossusvlei. As the sun rises the shadows over the dunes continually change. I Like the triangular light areas on the right. I looked behind me after taking this shot, which was on a tripod, to find a bus load of people standing directly behind me taking the same image.

Specific Feedback

I processed this some time ago and it is quite a simple image, however, just let me know what you think.

Technical Details

Nikon D300s. 1/350s, F11, ISO 200 230mm. A bit of contrast plus a couple of cloning of distractions.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Mark. This is an interesting, unusual image - the better for that. The contrast in size between the cliff (is that what it is) on the right and the trees speak to me the most. The color is also intriguing. I too like the light in the lower right. Where is Sossusvlei? Nice image. Keep posting them.

Very nice composition. Unfortunately some folks here don’t know where you were (Sossusvlei, Namibia) and that the background is a dune, despite telling them in your description. It tends to make them think they are looking at a rocky cliff. I think the challenge for you here is to emphasize the third dimension in the brighter side of the dune via some subtle shadows and blurring to depict form and depth.

Hi Mark, I absolutely love this style of shot the tree gives it an absolute sense of scale but I suppose only if you happen to realise that its a monstrously huge sand dune with one side in shadow the other sunlit. I have had the pleasure of visiting the Dead Vlei and Dune 45, is this the latter or a different dune? Lovely colourful graphic shot.

Beautiful. Wouldn’t change a thing.

Thank you everyone for your comments. @Larry_Greenbaum Sossusvlei is in Namibia, Africa and is characterised by numerous huge sand dunes like this one as well as mountain ranges. Spectacular, especially from the air.
Thanks @Bob_Faucher for your interpretation.
@Ian_Cameron This one of the first dunes you come across as you drive down to Dead Vlei, so well before Dune 45. With the rising sun it is a bit of a challenge to select a composition as the shadows are constantly changing.
@Michael_Lowe Thanks Michael. I have a large canvas print of this and very happy with it.

Mark, this floors me! I’m thinking where did he run across the gigantosaur. The tree provides an amazing gauge for how huge the dune is behind it. Cool color palette too.

This is certainly an awesome view with a very interesting and unusual composition.

At first, and for quite some time, I thought that the orange background was the sky, resulting in the darker mass on the right looking like the side of a very tall sand stone rock but then that could not make sense because that rock would be totally flat, resulting in the image looking artificial to me. My brain wants to turn the rock horizontally so that it looks like a dune with the sky behind it.

I now see that the orange expanse is the lit up face of a huge sand dune and the darker brown is the part in the shadow. The contrast of sizes between the tree and it is absolutely awesome, making it a practically otherworldly landscape!

Whilst it is really nice to have images where dimension takes some time to reveal itself, my brain keeps coming back to the flat perception with a rather disturbing, uncomfortable result.

Perhaps it’s only me, but anything that can be done to subtly put the brain on the right track would help. Perhaps more texture in the sand (I realize that really fine texture would be lost in this low res version) and/or light enhancement/manipulation. And yes, those triangles of light on the right are just beautiful!

I would argue that the confusion in this image is what makes it interesting. It is indeed difficult to imagine such a large dune.

2 Likes

I like this one very much. I didn’t have to know where or what it was to like it.

I really like the fact that you have to think about this image due to the crazy perspective. I knew immediately it is Namibia, but I loved my first impression of a giant dune about to break over the tree in the foreground. It kept me looking at it and analyzing until I saw the correct perspective. Keep us guessing!

I think it is beautiful. The scale makes me pause to admire the photo. It’s simplicity is a critical element. It’s art I don’t need know where or what it is the form is enough to enjoy it, Well done!

Thank you everyone for your continued positive reactions. When I first showed a print of this to people at work some years ago, few knew what it was and most thought it a cliff. @dgh Your comment sums up what I was trying to achieve, so thanks for that. It has long been a favourite image of mine.

I am like so many of the others. My brain needs some texture on the sunlit side of the dune. What keeps me confused is the horizontal line of brown that runs the entire length of the image at the bottom and the angle of the upright tree.