Geometry in Sossusvlei, Namib Desert, Namibia

I took this in Sossusvlei, Namib Desert, Namibia. I really like the color version of this but decided to try it in B&W. I did two versions of it and cannot decide which one looks better.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any thoughts welcome. Would prefer to know which version you like - the softer (top) or the darker (bottom).

Technical Details

Fuji XT3, 100-400 lens @400, ISO 250, , 1/60 sec @ f/11

1 Like

What an interesting place that must be. The combination of the inorganic geometric dunes with the organic shapes and textures of the foreground is striking. I definitely prefer the higher contrast version. The graphic nature of the scene just feels like it wants lots of contrast.

Another vote for th high contrast image. I think this image is about design and not about the natural scene. For one thing the bright shape going upwards doesn’t make sense in the real world. The high contrast isolates the shapes better and is therefore more suitable for this composition. It’s interesting that the bottom grass layer is real and lacks the geometric sense of the other elements. I think this amalgamation works pretty well though.

Higher contrast for me too, Roberta. It adds such depth to the scene. Very cool image. Well done.

Roberta,

Casting another vote for the second, higher contrast image. The graphic nature of the dunes, shadows and light are much better served with the higher contrast.

I especially like the extreme placement of the tree. I’m guessing placed more there because you’re emphasizing the graphic nature of the scene, rather than trying to tell the classic story about the trees themselves.

I’m wondering though if you might drop the contrast a bit in the foreground field. Maybe not back to the original, but maybe just some reduced contrast. It’s almost as if the contrast of the two main elements of the scene are competing with each other? Maybe that’s not the right way to say it.

Most certainly you have a beautifully seen and captured image.

Lon

Stunning image, and I love the geometric patterns. It doesn’t really need figuring out, just admiring, but I am wondering about the grey triangle in the top LHC. Is that another dune rising even higher than the one it is behind?

@Lon_Overacker , @David_Bostock @Igor_Doncov @Mike_Friel @Bonnie_Lampley Thank you all for your helpful, thoughtful and lovely critiques!! I am honored and appreciate everything you all said! Yes, Namibia is an absolutely amazing destination with photo opportunities everywhere! Sossusvlei is over the top beautiful! I will be posting more images from Namibia, as I took over 11,000 images and have narrowed it down to about 150!

@Lon_Overacker I will work on lowering the contrast a bit in the foreground if I can do it. Great suggestion!
@Mike_Friel Yes, there is another dune in the top LHC!

1 Like

This is quite intriguing. I like the somewhat abstract nature of it with the strong graphical shapes and tones of the dunes providing the backdrop for the lone tree. I’m drawn more to the subtle version but I think both are very nicely done.

@DeanRoyer thank you for your feedback! I appreciate any thoughts I get here on my photos.

@Lon_Overacker @David_Bostock @Mike_Friel @Igor_Doncov @Bonnie_Lampley @DeanRoyer

I have posted the color version in Landscape Image Showcase. Thanks again for your kind critique of the B&W version!