The Sentinel

Sony A700
Minolta 24-85 @ 35mm
ISO 800, 1 sec @ f5.6
Heceta Head Lighthouse
In November 2010 Chrissy and I celebrated our anniversary by indulging ourselves by spending a few days at the Heceta Head Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast. One evening the fog started early and I had a chance to shoot the light beams as they stretched into the mist. All comments welcome. >=))>

3 Likes

Bill, what a wonderful way to spend your anniversary. The fog shows the light beams “piercing” the darkness very well. The directionality of the beams is quite striking, was the light rotating?

Mark: Yes the light is rotating. I tried to time it so that the beams were arranged like this. There are still several fully operational and functional lighthouses on the Oregon coast. >=))>

Great light beams and a great way to spend the anniversary. Good entry, too.

I love lighthouses Bill. We don’t live near any so this is a nice treat for me. The light beams are fantastic. Great capture and sounds like a wonderful way to have spent for your anniversary.

Bill, I love the starburst beams of light! Looks really cool piercing through the fog.

Tremendous shot Bill. I do wish there was a bit more to see of the space around the lighthouse. I wonder what a bit wider angle view would’ve revealed?

Also, there seems to be a ever-so-subtle tilt to the image towards the right, but I may be wrong on that one. Really like your timing on capturing the beams.

Great beams and nice job of timing the shot for maximum effect, Bill! Sounds (and looks) like a great way to spend an anniversary! It’s kind of them to provide fog to enhance the reality of the experience :wink:

Great photo Bill! The light beams are fabulous. I especially like the little tiny bit of light on the tree top to the right of the lighthouse.

Bill, I’m not sure how I missed seeing this, as I love lighthouses. I just love those light beams shining through the fog. You did a great job timing it. Glad that you all were able to enjoy your anniversary there.