'Twas a Dark and Stormy Night

When I saw “Fog” as the Weekly Challenge topic, I immediately thought of my submitted image here. And then I looked at other submissions and saw @Bill_Fach’s image…a happy coincidence that we have the same Heceta Head Lighthouse as our subject! This was taken in Oct. 2019, at dusk with very low light.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I spent quite a bit of time in Lightroom to accentuate the fog vs the darker mountains.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
70mm, 1/10 sec, f/3.5, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.!
1 Like

Mark: One of my favorite places on the planet. The house near the right edge of the image is the keeper’s quarters that have been made into a bed and breakfast. Lots of wonderful lore and ambiance. Brings back some wonderful memories. Really nice work on the light beam.>=))>

Love the title and the image Mark. Very nicely captured and processed.

The title is perfect for the image, which is wonderfully dark and moody. Excellent entry for the challenge.

Lovely mood - foggy weather at dusk is the best. I like your inclusion of the house on the right; it adds to the story.

Mark, your title definitely captures the mood that shows so well here. The two points of light (keeper’s house and lighthouse beam) are very striking. I don’t know if it can be done in Lightroom, but I’m thinking that processing for a bit more contrast in the wave action, lower left corner, might be nice.

Thank you for all your comments @Bill_Fach, @linda_mellor, @Harley_Goldman, @Bonnie_Lampley, and @Mark_Seaver. I was born in Oregon and vacationed each summer on the coast as a kid. It was a thrill to return to the coast last October with a camera in my hand instead of a surf skim board and beach towel, and revel in the rainy weather! @Bill_Fach, I want to stay at that B&B! @Mark_Seaver, here’s a revision…makes sense that the foreground would be sharper and clearer than the background. Thanks again everyone!