The Three Little Rings

Central Ring

Diamond Ring 2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was THE most intense thing that I have ever tried to photograph. I am fairly new to Astro and sky photography, but it is very exciting to try. I planned for weeks figuring out how to photograph the eclipse and how to deal with all of the camera settings. Most of the research was online, e-books and videos. I’m not going to lie, I was in absolute panic mode while shooting the Totality portion of the eclipse, but enjoyed all of the research part of it and figuring out the how of it all. I photographed the eclipse in Carbondale, IL. I am always excited and willing to try new camera techniques and learn as much as I can. This experience was by far the most challenging yet and I learned alot about many of the camera’s odd menu selections. I look forward to many more camera adventures.

Specific Feedback

No particular feedback, just wanted to share the images. This was the first time posting.

Technical Details

Ring 1: ISO 800, 560mm (100-400 w/ 1.4 tele), f 22, 1/500 sec. This was part of exp. bracketing sequence.

Central Ring: ISO 4000, 560mm, f8, 1/125 sec.

Ring 2: ISO 6400, 560mm, f8, 1/5000 sec.

All were photographed using a Nikon Z7ii and I borrowed a star tracker to try it out so as to avoid any tripod adjusting issues that may occur. Definitely a learning curve involved. None of the photos were edited, they were straight out of the camera.

As a note, as I mentioned earlier, I was in a panic mode while shooting the Totality portion of it. All of the practice on paper and in theory does not compare to the pure addrenaline while actually doing it. I thought most of the images turned out really good. Maybe some of the settings could be different, but that is why I bracketed everything ALOT! It’s not like it happens every week. Wouldn’t that be cool though.

2 Likes

Very cool images, Anthony. The first with the tiny diamond is my personal favorite. I think I’d like the second more with a bit lower exposure to darken the moon, but all three are very nice.

Excellent results, especially for a first try! Look like the homework paid off.

We just got back yesterday and it will take a few days to process the exposures – I did a major HDR that will take some PS work to process best.

This was almost the last shot I was able to capture close to C3 contact. As I was taking the photos in burst mode while bracketing and adjusting my camera settings, the camera paused to write the images to the memory card from buffering. It was close to this image and then the next frame was about 13 seconds later. Can you imagine my disgust after viewing the images when I got home. Only to realize that I was taking as many photos as I could and my camera decides to take a lunch break. I guess the camera decided to stop and watch the eclipse too.

I appreciate it. It was definitely a challenge. I have all of the photos (except 13 seconds before C3). I am going to try and compose a n image showing various stages as a composite. Not that good at photoshop but still learning, like everything else.

I do have a few with the exposure toned down a bit and the moon darker, but this was cursory view of what I had available with the images. I agree it was too overexposed but all the extra corona was too good to pass up.

Anthony,

I can relate to the intensity while photographing totality. I can still feel it from the 2017 eclipse. In 2017 totality was just over two minutes, so can you imagine the intensity of trying to do what you did in half the time? When totality ended in 2017, I remember looking at the sun intensely, but I also had hundreds of photos during totality that I don’t remember taking. Even though I had several bracket ranges from 1/4000 sec down to 1/8 sec all done manually I can’t remember taking them. I was looking forward to experiencing it again but it was not in the cards for me.

I do have some questions though regarding your exposure choices. Why did you shoot such short exposures with such high ISO settings? Do you see any noise in the ISO 6400 at 1/5000 exposure? You could have used ISO 100 at 1/80 sec would have given you the same exposure, definitely less noise, and would not have altered the look at all since 1/80 sec is certainly fast enough to freeze celestial motion. Just wondering, likewise for the other exposures as well.

Oh, and BTW you did a great job nonetheless capturing the rings.

Hello and thank you for the response. For the partial phases leading up to C2, my exposure was ISO 100, f8, 1/500 sec. based on testing done at home with the camera, lens and filter. But I also bracketed the shots for comparison. So all of the partial phases, which I don’t have posted yet, are at that exposure. I am going to try a composite image soon and post it.
To your question, when totality first started at C2, the exposure was supposed to be ISO 400 or 800, f5.6 or so, 1/4000 sec. All of my shots were bracketed 3 over and 3 under. The shutter speed changed. What I failed to realize in the craziness was that a 100-400mm lens has two f-stop ranges depending on the focal length. I had a 1.4X converter on as well. 400 became 560mm. All the f-stops also adjusted. I did not account for that and the lens was set differently. It adjusted the f-stop range. I tried to compensate for the it while attempting to do everything else.
For the high ISO, I forgot to adjust it fast enough. I was going to keep them all around ISO 800 and make necessary adjustments with shutter speed and f stops. It was faster and easier of an adjustment with my camera. ISO 100 vs 800 adjustments were more easier to manage for me with Shutter speed and f stops. I was also bracketing a big range. Essentially, I panicked and adjusted other settings and relied on the bracketing as well. 7 frames, all 1 stop difference. So, some images may have some weird settings. That is why. I also was just trying not to screw it up. But, the images I did capture were pretty good for me. I was just pleased to be able to try it and be somewhat successful. Definitely an experience worth trying and learning from.

Anthony,

I can appreciate the chaos you must have been feeling. Nonetheless, you did capture the rings beautifully. I’m looking forward to all the composite images to come.

No, I didn’t really see any noise at ISO 6400 and I really haven’t started editing them yet. I was just excited to post them, so I haven’t really analyzed them yet. But for the high ISO, I forgot to adjust the ISO fast enough. These were straight out of the camera. I’m sure when I decide to edit them, there may be something I notice, but my camera sensor does a pretty decent job handling the various ISO ranges. I don’t anticipate any real noise issues.

Thank you very much

This is a great series Anthony. I too like the first diamond ring the best. As with @Youssef_Ismail I was able to get tot he eclipse in Oregon in 2017, but couldn’t get there for this one. What a great experience. One thing that really struck my wife and I about the eclipse was how it significantly dropped the temperature for a few minutes.

Oh hey, I was also in Carbondale! I stepped away from my camera for thirty seconds and completely missed the diamond ring. Sad for me, but your captures are great!

Great diamond rings images! I can relate to the panic-mode. Glad you came away with some nice pictures.