The Valley

I was lucky to catch this fleeting early morning scene during an October outing many years ago. The next morning I met NPNers Lon Overacker and Chris Chamberlain at this same location and the early season snow fall was already gone.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Wista DXIII 4x5 - Schneider APO 150mm - Velvia 50 (Converted in PS & NIK)

1 Like

Paul, the long view across the snowy tree tops is striking. However, my favorite parts are the scattered clouds in the valley and hanging on El Capitan. It is an unusual and very fine view of Yosemite.

1 Like

Oh, this is incredible, Paul. An iconic view dusted with snow. Wow. An amazing image.

1 Like

Great take on this classic view! I have not heard the name Chris Chamberlain in a long time. One trip, he wore jeans in thigh high snow and was soaked through and through and he heated his dinner on his exhaust manifold. That is creative! Really fine image, Paul.

1 Like

Harley, you’re correct about Chris’ name. It took me forever to recall his name. And I usually have pretty good recall.
Here is a group take of the old CANP contingent at the Nelly Deli at the corner of 395 & Tioga Pass.
Some of the folks I can recall. Obviously Lon, Preston, you, Steve Sirren, Jason Blankenship, Anil Rao, Youssef, I did also recognize the guy next to Anil in the sweater but can’t recall his name these days.
Anyway, I tagged it as Oct. 8 but have no idea what year beyond the fact gas might have been $1.50 a gallon… :crazy_face:

That is Jeffrey Sipress in the sweater. Other than Jason’s wife April, I can’t come up with any other names.

1 Like

Yes, that was the name Jeffrey Sipress. I knew you’d recall him…… :nerd_face:

This is a nice take on a famous location. It is well presented in processing with no dead black holes on the cliff faces, instead a hint of tonality and texture for me to look at. I loved the high stratus clouds with the mist and single cumulus forming.

The haloing does bother me a bit. If this is a darkroom print you could take your burning to just below the peaks. but then it would show as a shadow. See Ted Orlands view from the valley floor. Ted was one of Ansel Adams darkroom assistants.

If this is a digital rendition the halo can be mostly handled using the “Darken” blending mode as demonstrated by Unmesh Dinda of Piximperfect Youtube channel. Ignore the subject matter of the photo used and concentrate on the use of the technique in the video. This kid from Mumbai has been using PS since he was 8 yo and is probably the best PS teacher on Youtube.

1 Like

Wonderful ephemeral clouds/steam here and Half Dome is visible, which is rare!

1 Like