Shrouded

This is an image of El Capitan in Yosemite National Park. I had my long lens with me on this trip and when the fog and clouds started pouring into the valley I was pretty bummed out because it was a complete white-out. I sat in the car for a few minutes and a very small section of the El Cap wall became visible. I didn’t think much about this at first but remembering that I had my long lens, I quickly jumped out of the car, put my long lens on, and went to see what this would look like zoomed way in. After a few images, the wall blocked up again and I went and sat in the car for a few minutes and finally left. When I got back to my hotel room I began looking through the images on my camera and thought that just maybe I had something here.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is there too much headroom on top of the image? I was going for dramatic in the processing and added texture, a little bit of clarity, and some dehaze. I know I could also do the complete opposite with this image and make it less dramatic and more moody by reducing the clarity, texture and dehaze so just wondering if this works for you or not.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D4s, 1/1250 sec, 230mm, 80-400mm lens, f/8, ISO 200

3 Likes

Moody and mysterious; I love this, David! This turned out to be a unique take from Yosemite Valley IMO. The clouds certainly have provided some wonderful atmospherics and drama and showing just a slice of El Cap has the viewer wondering what else is hidden away in those clouds. I think the B&W conversion only reinforces the drama in this scene. I could see a small crop from the top with a slice from the bottom, but that is minor stuff. Here is a crop with what I was thinking.

David, you managed to catch something different in a familiar place, that’s always a treat. I like this with the clean look at just the wall of stone and the good texture in the clouds. My one though is that if there were clouds to the right, swinging your pov just a touch to the right would be a subtle improvement, but this works very well as presented.

Thanks for your help with this image @Ed_Lowe and @Mark_Seaver . I definitely feel that the crop works better as you presented Ed and I will look at adding some canvas on the right side Mark. Good suggestions. Thanks again!

Hi David! I really like this! I’m glad you didn’t give up on trying to get a photo out of this! I really think it’s beautiful and captures a feeling of going back in time and something to be discovered, before it’s been photographed and climbed thousands of times.

1 Like