The wind on the grass

This is a tall grass that fascinates me every time I walk along the lake. The wind and the sun in the late afternoon brings a glow and a strength that is so beautiful.

Specific Feedback Requested

I would like to know if the picture shows the movement and beauty that I saw. The image is cropped to a 4X4. Minor editing in LR

Technical Details

2 Likes

Marie, I like the mix of greens and reds you captured here, as well as the sense of motion. All of the green grasses are leaning in the same direction, taking my eye through the image. It would be helpful to know some of the technical details, like lens focal length, f-stop, shutter speed. It appears the reds are not sharp, but that could be what you were shooting for to show the motion. It is a nice abstract look at a small scene, and in fact this would also have worked nicely in the Abstract category. The square crop works for me.

Thank you!!!
I was going to post the original, not cropped, with the information, but the website does not allow me to sign in

Nikon compact camera Coolpix A900 ( light in weight to carry during a walk)
1/200 f/5 ISO 80 15 mm

Lovely colors, great textures, and nice flow.

1 Like

Marie, I wrote a comment while they were working on the NPN site evidently, and it wouldn’t accept it. I will try to reconstruct what I was saying, hopefully. Thank you for providing the technical information as well as the full view. I like the 4X4 best I think because it crops out the yellow on the right side which pulls my eye out of the image. I am not familiar with your camera, but am guessing that the lens isn’t removable, and you may or may not be able to change the shutter speed and f-stop. An f-stop of maybe f11 might have made the red part of the grass more sharp, if that was your desire. Changing the shutter speed could make the grass show more movement or stop the action. The good thing is that it sounds like a place where you go to walk, so you can try different settings if your camera lets you, as well as different times of day which can change the out come with different light.

1 Like

Yes, thank you. I will go back this fall and try with new settings

1 Like

Thank you!

The texture and the colors of this image fascinate me. The motion is nicely portrayed. The stouter grasses are bent in the wind, and the lighter red vegetation is apparently being tossed about.
I found myself wanting a wider range of luminosity and color palette, so could not resist playing with it, just to see if the motion could be more obvious – not sure I accomplished a lot. Also flipped the image so that the energy is moving from left to right.

I love it!. Thank you so much for the suggestions
I will post other versions of this tall grass. I am trying to convey what I see in it.