The Wounded Soldier

The ice surface on a river in Korea had many re-sealed cracks. This formation caught my eye in the winter of 2014.

Specific Feedback Requested

I removed blue and purple casts in the image by desaturating. Neither Topaz Denoise nor Sharpen had any effect on the shot. I don’t know why this should be, but maybe what looks like noise is just the texture of the ice.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D90 + Sigma 150-500mm @150mm f 6.3 1/200 ISO 640

Reduced Vibrance, set Saturation to zero and increased Contrast in PS.

2 Likes

I love this photo, Mike! I do think the ‘noise’ looks like the refrozen ice textures. It’s so beautiful, you really captured it well! It kind of looks like stained glass

Think you’re right, Mike, it is just the texture of the ice. I do love the abstract quality of the image. Nicely seen and captured.

Yes, very interesting and mysterious. I wouldn’t have thought it was ice. Nicely seen and captured!

Mike, this looks great, I can find multiple faces in here. I too think that the “noise” is the texture in the ice and it’s completely natural. I’m totally grinning about the devil (just below center) with the long pointed (lightning??) tongue (or maybe its a robot’s head…). Then there’s the prince in the upper left… Well seen.