Threads of life (+1 re-edit)

And without the buried plants making little hills -

Since flora is so quiet this time of year, I thought I’d share another of my little forest scenes. This is from December when there was a wash of sky reflected in the snow. I had to maneuver off trail for this one and wait out the breeze for a bit. I like how this little tree seems to be trying to trudge through the snow and out of the frame. At least that’s how it seems to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’ve played with flipping and it doesn’t make much difference. Should I add canvas to make it more off center and seeming to yearn to ‘walk’ out of the shot?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod

Lr for RAW processing - added exposure and increased whites and shadows, decreased blacks and highlights, slightly warmed white balance and some texture and clarity added. Cropped to 2:3 and into Photoshop for a lot of clean up on the snow.

@the.wire.smith
3 Likes

It looks really good as presented. I would consider getting rid of the dark areas of the snow. I find they detract a bit. No other nits, good one.

The placement of the little tree, Kris. Also like the detail in the small indentation around the stem, adds depth and reality of the trees situation, at least for me. I do agree with @Harley_Goldman about removing the couple of dark spots, I kept going back to them to try and figure out what they were?? Beautiful wintery scene and I love the simplicity.

Thanks @Harley_Goldman & @linda_mellor - those little darker bits are tiny hills of snow over smaller plants. I debated removing them, too, but left them. Should be an easy fix if they are puzzling.

1 Like

I like it better w/o the darker snow, but at the same time I wish the snow had a little more texture to add to the scene. The negative space maybe needs to not be so negative.

I see what you mean, @Tony_Kuyper - it is rather blank. I’ve kept that in mind with a more recent shot that I’ll put up. Let me know if it works better if you get a chance to see it.

This is beautiful, Kristen. Simple. Elegant. Love it.

Thanks, @Michael_Lowe - this is one of several I put up this winter. They’re so much fun to do.