Through the window

Image:

Description:

This one was taken near the place where I made the pano that I posted a short while ago (Clue d’Aiglun).
The road is approximately one car wide and fortunately, this stretch is secured by a low but thick wall. The drop off at the left is considerable.
The image isn’t exactly level; I left it that way because it adds to the feeling that it was shot through the windscreen during the ride (I wasn’t driving myself). There is a color cast as well, caused by the car window, and for the same reason I didn’t remove it completely. No sharpness either: 1/15 sec.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Pentax K5, Pentax 4/16-45mm @45mm, ISO800, 1/15 sec, f/10.

2 Likes

I like this image Hans. It reminds me of some old roads in Oregon or California, with that low wall along the side. Many roads were built like this by the WPA in the U.S. in the 1930’s I believe
I like the angle you have too, and no issue with the color cast. I would however crop out the lower edge that shows the car.
Cool shot! I bet you were driving very slow!!

@Mark_Muller Yes, this was a slow drive! Thanks for commenting.
I understand that you would crop out the lower edge. I have been hesitating myself and finally decided not to crop, to show that the image was shot from within the car.

That’s an interesting road with a very heavy duty guardrail, Han! I like your vertical perspective because the cliffs are very important to the context of the road. You really can’t tell if it is level or not and the color cast is very minor so I wouldn’t worry about either of those. On the other hand, I agree with Mark that the dashboard is quite distracting even though it tells part of the story.

Whoa, Han! I really hope that’s a one way road! If not, who decides who gets to back up all the way to the end again?!
I really like how you composed it as it gives the feeling like we are there looking through the windshield. I agree with what the others say about maybe getting rid of that little bit of car. I didn’t really notice it at first until it was mentioned. Really great capture!

@Vanessa_Hill No, this is not a not a one way road. If you meet an “opponent”, you have to back off to the first lay-by. The one that is descending has priority. I drove this road several times and was always glad when I didn’t encounter someone from the opposite side.
I see that the majority is in favor of cropping, I’ll consider removing the dashboard.

1 Like