Tidepool Anatomy - Compare and contrast

As commented in previous post, there were two versions of the tide pool image. I have now completed processing it and would be interested in your opinion on which one is better. They were actually shot at the same time and at the same camera angle as it turns out. One was shot with the polarizer and the other without. Each was cropped differently and therefore they are different compositions. Thank you for looking.

PS. What do you think of the ‘belly button’?

GFX50R, 45-100mm

Number 1:

Number 2:

Two very different images. The first one has more depth to me and I think that’s a big plus, although I like the color on Number 2 better. I would clone out the belly button, Igor.

They are both excellent but for me number 1 feels stronger, more focused with everything that isn’t absolutely essential removed. The rock feels like the colour and texture of the fur of a Shar Pei (you the breed of dog with all the loose hanging fur/skin). Gorgeous texture and lovely subtle tones.

1 Like

I think I agree with your assessment Kerry.

They are both really wonderful microscapes - a term I use for small scale landscapes that mimic large ones. This could be a cliff on Lake Superior or Michigan. The way you’ve composed the features is the same as you would for that much larger scene and that’s important in these kinds of photos. Not to fool the eye, but to present to the viewer the best way into the image. Throughlines work on any scale and are really critical to getting eyes where you want them and to make an engaging photo.

The first has an intriguing repetition of the shape of the rock and the water creeping in. The color differences in this small space are lovely. The second focuses attention on a single feature with no repetition in the ‘cove’ shape and is a more concentrated study of form and texture without as much obvious color change. To me the ‘horseshoe’ shape around the little opening in the bottom of the first one is about color more than anything. By removing that, the colors seem less in competition with each other and more a natural progression like the stone itself. If that makes any sense. Either would be welcome on my walls.

Igor, both of these are very attractive. As presented I somewhat prefer #1 because mostly because it’s a bit more color in the yellows/greens. I do like the extra water on the right in #2, so it would be interesting to compare the two views with the same color settings as #1.

Both are quite lovely Igor and I am leaning toward the first image. To me it seems perfectly framed with no additional elements needed. My only suggestion would be to get rid of both belly buttons.

:laughing: There’s more than one? Now I am curious.

I prefer image #1. Yes, I would get rid of the belly button but now that you mention it, it could be a talking point that doesn’t ruin the image so you could keep it as well. There is more color variation in the first image that is not present in the second image and the water is harsher in the second image. I also love the balance that you have with the first image by adding that little bit of frame to the bottom of the image and including more water. The flow is better in the first image largely because of the added space along the bottom but also because the top right section in the second image is a little bit messy. I like both but I have a strong preference for image #1. That second belly button might be along the very top of the frame just left of center but I don’t see any others. Curious if that’s it. :slight_smile:

Which one is better depends on what you want to convey (not to beat a dead photo, or anything, but I can’t resist making this point again).

#1 feels sort of blocked up to me, even though the weathered rocks are rounded and drapey. I think it must be the square crop and the bulkiness of the outcrop on the left.

#2 feels much more graceful and flowing to me. That left-hand outcrop takes up less real estate in the frame and is better balanced by the smaller folds. The more horizontal crop lends to the flowing feel.

None of the “belly buttons” bother me at all.

@Kris_Smith, @Adhika_Lie, @David_Haynes, @Ed_Lowe, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Mark_Seaver, @Kerry_Gordon

Thank you for your thoughts. Although it’s not unanimous there is general agreement that image #1 is superior.

I really like the purity of the square image. It’s just simple lines and shapes with a monochromatic color. One of my best this year. I can hardly wait to make this print.

1 Like