Time of the year for color and sunlight!

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This is a different type of image from you Ben, and I like seeing you show us something like this. I see the windmill, but where are the tulips ? :grinning:

I like the image overall, it has nice impact. I think the horizontal panoramic presentation does a great job of emphasizing the vastness of this field of flowers. This is a difficult exposure situation, but your processing has done a good job of handling the dynamic range. It’s very natural looking and I think you have done a great job of maintaining shadow detail without losing contrast. The sky looks pretty good overall, yes you have lost detail in the immediate area of the sun, but I’m okay with it. If you had a second darker exposure bracket you might try blending it in around the sun area.

Some folks may not like the 50/50 horizon placement that you have, but I’m okay with it. It’s a tough call in this case. You have nice color and clouds in the sky, but you also have strong color in the foreground. But if you had elected to show 1/3 sky and 2/3’s foreground, I think the foreground flowers would be too uniform in appearance. So in this case a 50/50 split is a reasonable compromise.

1 Like

Ed, thank you for your positive critique. I am honoured !!

I enjoy this a lot, too, Ben. Very good work in capturing the sun; it’s not always easy doing so. The lens flare is even enjoyable. What flower is this, Ben?

Yes, I meant to ask about the flowers as well, they are a lovely color.

Beautiful Ben! No nits or suggestions really. Great choice on the pano format.

Lon

Thank you, Adhika. These flowers are hyacinth.

Thank you,Lon

This is a fine image, Ben, but you have posted stronger ones in the past. This, to me, is a fairly straightforward sunrise shot. The light and color of the flowers came out well.

Thank you Igor for your comment. For me this is one of my better images. But it’s a good thing with images that every one will see something else in it. And that there are people like you, who take the time to explore my images !!

I fully understand and sympathize with your feelings. Most of my favorite images are not highly regarded here. I tell myself that ‘they just don’t understand’. In fact I can predict when an image will leave some scratching their heads. A lot has to do with relating to an image and ‘getting it’. I’ve never been to a tulip field in Holland. I don’t have emotional ties to that. If I did, something might click for me. We have different backgrounds and therefore different perspectives.

1 Like

These are hyacinth , My tulips are on the image gallery . Still a nice comment, Igor.