Tools of Generations

I am an amateur landscape photographer, but, during the winter when landscapes are bleak and monochromatic, I sometimes satisfy my photographic desire with still life. This is one example. I come from a long line of machinists and engineers, so 19th and 20th century props are plenty. Such is the case here: a WWII tool placed on a 19th century book about machines.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any. Especially about composition. Quite frankly, I really donā€™t know how to compose still life shots. Research and photo group peer advice has not revealed any tips.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D810 with a (rented) Nikon 105 /f2.8 lens with Manfrotto tripod and RRS ballhead

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Marc, I like this as is. In response to your point about how to compose a closeup / macro I find this works just fine. This image may not resonate with others on an understanding of the tool being presented, but they can surely see the clarity in the presentation of the scene.
I fully can appreciate this vintage dial indicator with all itā€™s missing paint on the caliper head as well as the graphic numbers wrapping the rotating barrel or handle unit. I used one of these, more modern unit, when building my small and big block Chevyā€™s for my drag racing cars.

I feel this is a fine macro/close up of a vintage machine tool. I have a very good friend who is a machinist and I have done some macro/close up of this work and get what you are trying to convey here and I think you did a great job with this image. I especially like the wear and tear detail that shows this is ā€œvintageā€ even if you could not recognize this was not just a new used tool. I could also see another version of this with an ā€œolder personsā€ hand, maybe with some machine oil stains gripping and actually using the tool but close up only showing part of the dirty hand, part of the tool and the part that is being measured??? Just a thoughtā€¦

Marc: I think this is a fine view and a really good conversion. The detail, lighting and DOf management are all spot on. I did move this to Non-Nature since there isnā€™t any natural element. Very nicely done.>=))>

Marc,

Well done - great execution here.

Real picky, but thatā€™s me. I would clone or otherwise deal with the bright strip near the left edge. I canā€™t see cropping in any further.

Great idea and like the drawing, blueprint or whatever is the back drop.

How about an old slide ruleā€¦ :grinning: