Workbench

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Digging through older folders yesterday and came across this one from 2014 that I have always liked. It is part of a local collection of old stuff, now possibly no longer accessible as the collector passed away some years ago. Shot through a half-open door with natural lighting. (I hope I haven’t posted it before – I don’t find it in my portfolio or in the collection I try to keep of things I have posted here.)

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 8.45.07 PM

An oldie not re-processed because I can’t find the raw file, just the PS file. I always keep raw files together with processed ones but there was a time back about then of computer hell when a local shop had built a computer for me with misrepresented and apparently black market parts and I had several disastrous crashes. (After I figured out what the problem was, I left footprints in the concrete at the DA’s business fraud office and the shop refunded the money, but I did lose some files.)

I love the B&W treatment for this, Diane. It’s very appropriate as are the cobwebs and general look of clutter. It also gives me some good ideas for storing funnels and spouts!

Very cool and mysterious…what on earth is all that for? I mean, yeah, I can ID some stuff, but others are just opaque. Agree that B&W was the way to go - do I see a tiny bit of toning going on? I especially love the BEER can - very Repo Man.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @Kris_Smith! I’m not sure what some of it is either, but it seems to be heavy on grease and oil. I like that there is coffee to go with the beer. I used a soft sepia tone – glad to hear it’s pretty subliminal.

Diane, this looks like my brother’s workbench. He has so much stuff. I don’t think he has the cobwebs though, as he uses it a lot. Great find, and I also like the B&W treatment, it just goes with the subject.

I like this.Looks like someone worked on vehicle motors. B/W with touch of sepia-just right.

Diane: it’s always much easier to appreciate the light and in this case form as well when there is no color. Your photo is an easy one to linger over.

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman, @Jim_Gavin and @Richard_Sandor! I was delighted to stumble across this ready-set still life, in perfect light just waiting to be “painted”!

1 Like