Weathered + RP

And with Dennis Plank’s suggestion – I think it was a good idea!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The sun was at the right angle to make the door on an old weathered truck very interesting.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 3.21.37 PM

Minimal adjustments in LR and then in PS – mostly a little border patrol. But a big crop – about 50%.

1 Like

Beautiful find, Diane. When I first saw it I was hoping this wasn’t your airplane :grin:

Since you mention a large crop, I hope you have a bit more room on the bottom to complete that perfectly circular scratch. It’s such a contrast to the typical random deterioration that it deserves to be as complete as possible. It makes me spend a lot of time looking at this image and trying to figure out what could possibly cause it.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank! I do have more room (it was a hasty hand-held shot) but there was a distracting shape at the bottom. It was small and could be cloned out but in leaving more room things felt top-heavy – there was an even more distracting shape at the top. Maybe more crop instead of less?? I thought I liked the tension but it’s something I would point out in anyone else’s image so leaving it can only be attributed to laziness… I’ll have another look tomorrow.

OK – had to fix it – thanks, @Dennis_Plank! I think it’s better with the complete circle! (Posted above.)

Thanks @Diane_Miller. I do like it better.

Yeah, the full circle works. I love the textures and rippling here - great contrasts - I can practically feel it and I so want to keep peeling that paint!

Diane, this is so fun. I love these kinds of rusted abstracts. The full circle does work better…it also makes the frame more squarish. Great comp.

Every time I go to Bandon, Oregon, I make a point of stopping at least once at the Charleston, Oregon Marina. Lots of fun boats to photograph there, but there’s one very rusted old fishing boat that I can spend hours looking for these kinds of abstracts.

Congrats on a great one here, Diane.

Diane, great job recognizing the possibilities to make something cool out of decay. There are lots of little details here and the color contrast is terrific! Of course, the light really sets it off and makes the image. I’m still a newbie here and don’t know where everyone’s boundaries lie, but if this were my image, I would add a texture layer to it. The thing is, there are so many possibilities for textures and blend modes and they can change the image subtly or dramatically. I realize that others can show an edit in their post, however I am not really comfortable adding a layer that significantly alters someone else’s image. I hope I didn’t offend you with this suggestion.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith, @David_Bostock and @Ron_Meeker!

David, I’ve stopped at that shipyard on a couple of trips up the coast and could almost still be there! Definitely a target-rich environment!

Ron, there aren’t a lot of rules here, but the big one is, if anyone is offended by suggestions and ideas, they can bug out!! (And that is pretty much self-enforcing!) :grin:

I love adding textures to things, and will only use ones I shot. I often find it strangely effective to use one from the same location or shoot. I didn’t think to do that here because I liked the way the relatively smooth paint lets the subtle shading stand out. If I had shot it in flat light I might have thought of it. At any rate, I’d love to see your idea!

Edit by Ron with Texture

Diane, I have never created a texture on my own, but I have collected quite a few over the years and I do use them at times to creatively enhance images. It’s easy to go down a rabbit hole trying different combinations of textures and blend modes on an image, but sometimes it seems worth it. Anyway, this is what I came up with in a couple of minutes. I processed it in ON1 PhotoRaw and I used the soft light blend mode with this texture. For me it adds some pop, but that certainly my not be what you’re after. Thank you for your open-mindedness!

That does add to the funkiness factor! I was a little uncertain of the soft contrast I had and may play with that more. I’ve never created a texture either – I just use ones I’ve photographed – but getting subtle ones that cover a frame is unusual.

I think my wife may have solved my circle mystery. Just from my description she went to a decal that was later removed. That could be a line of crud built up around the edges.

@Dennis_Plank, I think your wife is right. There was a similar trace of a smaller rectangular shape below it.