Open Here + B/W

I messed with a B/W – some explanation below in the comments.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another oldie turned up on a deleting binge.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.02.26 PM

Just a little tonal tweaking and some very minor cloning.

1 Like

I always enjoy this old stuff. Looks like an item we’d find out at Bodie or some other ghost town. The poor doorknob assembly looks like it could use an upgrade with 4 drywall screws… :clown_face:
A wonderful find here, Diane… :+1:

Love these types of images Diane, they really do transport you to another era. Wonderful work!

Thanks, @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Saundie! I found this one in the ravaged desert of Indiana! But I’m pretty sure I do have some from Bodie.

Sorry I’m late to the game. I think the image has some staying power. Besides the obvious weathered look and patina, I enjoyed the “cartoon face” of the doorknob. And with the doorknob plate cropped vertical, the rest of the Ines are “off kilter”. Probably indicative of the settling of the old building. That gives it just a little something to make it jump out.

Thanks, @ed15! I don’t know if I would have shot it if the shadow hadn’t been there to add that 3D element. I’m not sure I figured out which piece was actually vertical (maybe none) but I knew the doorknob plate was the one I had to make vertical in the composition.

Very Cool image. !!! I love the shadow of the door knob. I have to ask. Did you try a black and white edit on this image. The tone in this image is real warm and has a great vibe !!!

Thanks, @Gill_Vanderlip! I should have thought of that! I’ll give it a try – for you and @Saundie, at minimum. It may take a couple of days – it might be clear here for astro shooting tonight (marginally) and tomorrow night. I haven’t had a clear dark night for over three months and am getting set up just in case.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing your image in black and white. But it’s really nice like you have it. Kept it simple and focused. The shadow really works.

1 Like

@Gill_Vanderlip and @Saundie, I did a B/W but I had limited options because the image is all reds and yellows. I was able to get a little separation between the wood and the doorknob, but without masking this is the best I could do. I do like it, though. Playing with a color balance and Hue-Sat layer below the B/W adj layer didn’t give any improvements. Even going back to the raw file and doing B/W there and tweaking the actual color balance didn’t give me anything better, which I find a little surprising. But maybe it shouldn’t be – it’s just a monotone subject so there are limited options.

It works real well. Both images work well in my opinion. Maybe burn the shadow down a little. Great tone in the door. Really nice image. :camera_flash::camera_flash:

I like them both as well, Diane. However, I think the rust adds to the authenticity; it adds to the story. I am a BW fan, but in this case, color works better. :+1:

Thanks, @Gill_Vanderlip and @Saundie! I decided I prefer the color, I think because the old wood has aged to the same color as the old metal. But I’m happy to have it as a twofer.

1 Like

Both images work great for me. Texture and Tone. You captured it.