Touch and Go

This was a Great Egret in full breeding attire going in and out of the dead-woods in the trees getting branches for the nest. It was great fun watching him fly in and out, over and over.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
D500, 200-500@ 400mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400

Pretty much straight ACR/PS for the bright highlights and one TK lights mask. This sequence occurred over a 15 minute period in the low side of mid morning so the light didn’t change much.

1 Like

Very nice compositing edit. Good poses and detail and I like the oof background. Well done.

1 Like

Nice job on the composite, Chris. Excellent detail in the egret(s). I really like the way you handled the overlap-it works very well.

1 Like

I agree with both Dennis and Allen with regards to the compositing processing. Excellent exposure on the white plumage of these breeding egrets. I have to look to see anything unnatural in the processing. Good job!

1 Like

There are a couple of branch sticks overlapping the second and last Egret shot, I missed…but would fix if I went to print with it.

Hi Chris
This is really cool work. When I first looked at the frame, I though you had photographed four Great Whites taking off. The whites and detail on this Egret are very well handed and I love the wing action.
After I reread your comments and enlarged the composite shot I found a wing cut-out between the 3rd & 4th Egret frame. I hand to really look for it.
Peter

1 Like

Oh darn, Peter, now I have to go do one more edit.