Towards Evening - 10 Mile Dunes, Mendocino County (post edits)

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any technical critique is welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the sky work with the lower part? I darkened it, and brought down the highlights of the brightest clouds because they competed with the bright part of the dune. I deliberately went for the dramatic look here, rather than more representational.

Any pertinent technical details:

Sony a7, f/16, 24-104mm @98mm, ISO 400, 1/200s, hand held

@Jim_Gavin I took your advice and toned down the brightest spot on the dune (brought the yellow slider down in the b&w conversion) - Thanks for the comment, I think it’s better less bright.

@Matt_Lancaster Thank you for the comment on that dark cloud edge - I dialed it back and it definitely looks better to me. And the plants are rather scraggly, but that scene wouldn’t exist except for the plants holding the sand - so they get the honor. :wink:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

1 Like

Your went for and achieved the dramatic. Quite impressive. The brightest part of the dune in my opinion could be toned down a little bit. I also get a feeling that it is tilted to the left somewhat but that could be just the nature of the dune. Nice image.

It looks great, Bonnie. Very impactful and dramatic. I agree with Jim that it could use a slight CW rotation to level the horizon, but minor stuff. Really good image.

@Jim_Gavin and @Harley_Goldman Thanks for the comments. I’m pretty sure the camera was level even though hand held, as I have the level-finder always on (and use it - ha). The “horizon” is the top of a dune, so it’s naturally tilted.

Bonnie, this does not relate to this image, but I never care if my camera is level. I look through the viewfinder or on the LiveView screen where I have grid lines showing. I use the grid lines to line up the horizon or trees or whatever to make them look the best in an image. A level camera often does not do that in my experience.

Best,

Harley

1 Like

Bonnie,

I love this image! I tend to err on the side of drama and I think you’ve achieved it in spades. Those clouds are just the right brightness in deference to the dune. That S curve in front of the vegetation is just beautiful and subtly echoes the curving crest of the dune just a few feet to its right at the near-center of the image.

Just a couple of criticisms: The dark band of sky at top looks out of balance. I don’t have a problem with how dark it is, but that it has an abrupt lower edge. Perhaps smooth it’s edge with a gradient.

And that vegetation is, unfortunately, rather weak and scraggly. Not much you can do about it. And in fact, you’ve given it a setting it could only dream about. So perhaps no worries.

Superb!

I think you’ve done an excellent job here, both in composition and in processing. The sky looks very appropriate with this dramatic dune. Every thing is as it should be in my opinion. Thanks.

I really like and prefer the redo. Thanks.

1 Like

Bonnie,

Wonderful dune image! I really like what you did with the sky and recognizing the relationship and toning the sky down bit to keep the “light” emphasis on the dune - and that was done beautifully. I do like the repost even better.

As far as the “horizon” goes, I can see the impression given of not being level. However, at least for me, there’s enough deviation in that line to provide clues and info that it is in fact the dune, and not the ocean or true horizon. Minor point that doesn’t get in the way of enjoying this one.

Lon

I prefer the original, more dramatic, sky. I feel it better complements the dramatic aspects of the dune.