Townsend's Warbler

I think this is a Townsend’s Warbler, 1st year female. I have never knowingly seen one before; many of the yellowish warblers look similar to me. Taken on a dark and rainy day.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Hope it doesn’t look too flashed. Perhaps lowing the yellow sat might be helpful.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 12800, 100-400 plus 1.4X in APC mode at 720 mm FF equivalent, (80% of 26 MP), f8, 1000th, handheld, fill flash, A7R4

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

David, I have no idea what kind of bird this is, as I am not familiar with it, but it is a very pretty bird. I am amazed at the details you were able to capture at such a high ISO. I wish the background behind the bird wasn’t as bright as it is, but otherwise no nits here.

Good look at the warbler. Nice feather detail and slight head turn. Not sure about the yellow. We had a flock of them come through our yard the other day and the yellow really seemed to stand out. Did you need to use NR on this; if not what a great advertisement for the A7R4.

I do believe you’re correct, David, and that’s one I haven’t seen. I thought I’d finally gotten all our local warblers. Excellent image particularly for that ridiculous iso.

Noise reduction from DxO PhotoLab 3 on the whole image and Topaz AI Denoise on the BG.

Nice capture of this warbler, David. Great image given the conditions. Great job also with the processing - I see very little noise in the image and the subject is still very sharp. I am amazed at the high ISO capabilities of the newer cameras. The bright background competes with the warbler for attention - you may be able selectively decrease the brightness. The eye seems a little odd with dual catchlights. Not sure if you can clone the lower one, but may be worth a try.