Trail in the Forest - HDR & composite

I’ve been watching videos from several of the photographers from Out of Chicago, and I decided I want to learn how to composite and want to learn about smart objects. I was experimenting with this composite. I first did an HDR of 4 photos - very bland photos, but I liked the composition, then added Glow in Topaz Studio, then added sunlight filter in Nik, then added a person and then changed the color of the hat of the person. Would like your thoughts on composition, whether adding a person to the photo adds interest, and any other thoughts. Please be honest if you don’t like it. Since it’s just an experiment, you won’t hurt my feelings. I’ve attached one of the “original” photos before hdr and the final photo. Thanks!

Fuji XT3, 16-55mm Fujinon, 48.5mm, ISO 320, .5sec at f5.0.

Hey Roberta. I’ve got to admire your moxie. You’ve taken on a lot in this one picture in terms of post processing techniques. So, in that regard, I salute you. I’m only going to comment on two things - the HDR work and the addition of the woman.
There are essentially two ways to deal with high dynamic range - HDR - using composites. The first way is running the images, in your case, four of them through an algorithm. That could be in Lightroom or some other platform. The problem with using an algorithm is that you are trusting an essentially “dumb” program to make critical choices for you in how these images should be blended and, ultimately, look. It would be kind of like setting your camera to automatic and shooting in jpeg. The camera is now making a lot of critical choices for you that will determine the outcome of the image that may have nothing to do with your artistic vision. When I looked at this image I knew immediately that you had used some kind of HDR program. Where it is most obvious is in the clump of bushes in the lower left of the frame (although it is also pretty apparent along the pathway and in the forested areas as well). The blend is very “muddy” and has strange colour artifacts, glow, haloing and assorted other artifacts that lend an almost “garish” and unnatural feel to the image that you, as the photographer may not have intended. The other way to deal with high dynamic range is through hand blending. Hand blending gives the photographer maximum control over the results, which, if handled well, will have a natural feel, which is to say I won’t be looking at the photograph and thinking about HDR. That being said, hand blending is a definite learning curve that requires a photographer’s knowledge of Photoshop. Luminosity masking provides the most effective means to quality blends but, again, learning curve. The best person, in my opinion, on hand blending is our own Sean Bagshaw and you can find tons of free videos by Sean online.
About the woman. Adding something like a person into a photograph can be tricky. For the most part if you just paint them in from some unrelated image it’s going to look weird. And the woman in the picture does look kind of weird. She appears to be floating. Why? Because the light is wrong (she’s lit from behind) and there is no corresponding shadow. When I first look at the picture, I don’t notice these details. It’s more of a feeling - something doesn’t look right about the woman in the frame. And now that’s all I’m looking at. At first I thought it was because of how bright the yellow was but after a closer look, I began to see that she didn’t belong there.
I really do want to encourage you to explore post processing technique. It can give us as photographers a lot of options in creating an image. Some people absolutely love the look of automated HDR blending. I don’t happen to be one of those people but I’m certainly not going to say it is “bad”. It’s always going to come down aesthetic choice.

1 Like

Hi Roberta,
I am more of a purist so my preference is for the original image as I am not a big fan of adding things to an image. Not that there is anything wrong with that other than it is not my cup of tea. I do like the zig zag of the pathway as it takes me into this lovely inviting woodland scene. This has a nice sense of depth and the subdued lighting is perfect. My only suggestion would be to crop off a little of the OOF FG. Beautifully done.

Hi Roberta. I would be in general agreement with the comments that you have already received from @Kerry_Gordon and @Ed_Lowe I think you will find that many of of the participants in the Landscape Critique forum here are not big fans of aggressive HDR processing. Most of us here ascribe to the philosophy, “process for creative effect, but keep it believably realistic” For me it boils down to this, when I can easily tell by looking at an image what type of processing has been done to it, then it is less successful for me. I tend to lean towards a more subtle approach. Kerry has already pointed out some of the processing telltales that I also noticed.

With that said, in no way would I was want to discourage you from trying new processing techniques, and you did say this was an experiment. My own philosophy is that the images work better when they are more about the quality of light, the nature story, and the impact of visual design elements (such as shapes, lines, patterns colors, textures, etc). To me the image should be about these things, and the processing should enhance those elements. If an image does not have those things, then strong processing only goes so far on its own.

Breaking down this image from the viewpoint of things other than the processing, I see both pro’s and cons. I think you do a have a good story of the s-curve of the road leading into the woods. Compositing in the person adds to the story. And I think this image also works without the person, since the forest is interesting itself, it has some nice colors and shapes. On the other side of the ledger, to me there are some issues with sharpness and Depth of Field (DOF). I can see using shallow depth of field for the road in the immediate foreground, if your goal was to use that to emphasis the person in the middle of the road. But to me the yellow bushes on the left are an important element within the scene, and they are too out of focus for my taste. The leaves in the upper left corner are out of focus, and I find that to be a distraction as well. You used an aperture of f 5.0, I assume because you were trying for shallow DOF. I think you could have gone to a higher fstop, and got better sharpness in key elements like the yellow bush.

Processing should be a tool that is used for a specific purpose. Looking at the unprocessed bracket, the light looks very even and without harsh shadows, ie the kind of light you usually want when shooting in a forest. But this type of light also means that you don’t really need to us HDR to expand dynamic range, you can get a good exposure with with just one bracket. Sometimes HDR software like Topaz or Photomatix does some funky things to color, texture, saturation etc., in addition to creating a blended exposure from brackets. I think these are the things Kerry mentioned.

I guess my point is that you have the makings of a good photo here already, you did not need to goose it further with funky HDR processing to make it work. For example the saturation and colors in the unprocessed original look much more pleasing and natural to me. I’m not trying to be harsh here, or discourage you from experimentation. But while this type of heavy Topaz/Photomatix look might play well on Instagram, the tastes of many folks here at NPN tend to lean to a more natural look.

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk @Kerry_Gordon @Ed_Lowe - Thank you all for your very detailed comments/critiques. I appreciate the constructive criticism, and will definitely take it to heart to change my processing on this image - and future images. I am going to reprocess the single raw image, cropping out the OOF foreground and see how it looks. I was trying to learn some things, so I knew that I was taking a chance sharing it here. I don’t usually overprocess my hdr photos - I tend to go with a more natural look, just blending them for exposure.

Thanks again for taking your valuable time to look at my image and make such detailed comments and suggestions!

1 Like

Roberta, glad you took the comments contructively, most of us here are genuinely interested in providing constructive advice.

2 Likes

Seems a bit soft to me. Since you have Topaz, do you have AI Noise Reduction and/or AI Sharpen? Curious if they would help. Maybe a pretty extensive vignette to highlight the person a bit more.

@BrettOssman Thank you for your comments. I did use Topaz AI noise reduction and I think sharpen. But since it’s not a good image, I won’t be doing much with it as is. I’m going to rework it and see if I like it.