Transitions + repost

Description:

This image caught my eyes during a pre-dawn walk in our neighborhood and got me to thinking about how everything changes.

Specific Feedback Requested:

From dawn to day, light to dark, patterned to solid and from one year to the next.
When you look at this photo, do you sense/feel that also? How do you react to it??
Any other thoughts and comments?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No
Cropped 1:1, LR noise reduction, PS cloned out telephone line & hint of clouds, added curves and de-saturation adjustment layers.
Nikon D7200, f/6.3, 1/100 sec., iso 3200, 16-80mm @48, handheld

Linda, this is a nice look at this crescent moon. I think the open branches work well with the moon, but find the thick area “too heavy”. Have you tried cropping from the bottom to a 3:2 ratio? Leaving a bit of the heavy area on the right, but not all the way across the bottom.

This one has a real nice Halloween look to it, kind eerie. I like @Mark_Seaver’s crop suggestion.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver and @Harley_Goldman.

Great suggestions from you both and I’d agree. Cropping and deciding what to include and what not to include is still a bit of a challenge for me. I do like this crop, having less “heavines” on the lower portion. Thanks again for your comments.

Even though it is hard to do, it is often best to try to sort out composition/crop in the field while shooting. One thing that may help is to use some small cardboard or plastic sheets where you have cut out holes that correspond to common aspect ratios. Look thru them as you are evaluating a scene, or walking around looking for compositions. Some people find this trick helpful.

Thanks Ed. Yes, I remember during my first photography course the instructor suggested using the fame from a 35mm slide to view potential images. Sure did bring back some great memories. Thanks for the suggestion and the memories.