Treasure Trove

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

At first, I shot it to highlight the bright yellow Gingko leaf on the ground, but over time, I started getting attracted to the surrounding bright brown leaves and the water droplets on some of them. In terms of improving it, do you think there is any sort of distractions that are pulling you away from the image.

Creative direction

I do not think I have a distinctive style to my images. For this particular image, I wanted to showcase autumn and the luminance of the leaves after a overnight shower.

Specific Feedback

Would love to hear your opinions if the conceptual and emotional message that I feel is portrayed by this image is coming forward and if there is any technical aspects I can improve upon to help the message to be more pertinent.

Technical Details

5 focus stacked images shot at f/8, ISO 100, 64mm and SS 1/50s

Description

Really wanted to showcase the beautifully shaped gingko leaves during autumn, am lucky enough to have one in the garden opposite to where I stay. The owner is kind enough to let me enter at all times and photograph the garden. On one night late last autumn, it had rained profusely, but the next day it had cleared up with some beautiful reflected light falling from the roofs of the houses onto the fallen patch of leaves, where I found this pattern and spent a good half an hour trying to make sense of the composition. As the name suggests, this truly is a treasure trove for me.

3 Likes

Hi Subhasish,

I don’t really have a strong sense of emotion other than the feeling of calm from the muted light and the subtle colors with the exception of the yellow Ginkgo leaf.
I like the fresh look of the large brown leaves as well as the size and their texture, the greenery looks fresh and the tint of the green seems very real to life.
I think what I like the most is the depth caused by the layered look created by the subtle light reaching the leaves underneath.

It doesn’t feel busy or chaotic in any way, it’s more like a complex scene that’s easily understood and appreciated.

I wouldn’t have known that this was a stack because it appears to be a single exposure and, I don’t know the distance from the lens to subject or the crop amount (if any), the aperture opening doesn’t tell me much without knowing the distance or the crop.
I’m not noticing any evidence of stacking so, the stack looks like it was well done :slight_smile:

Very nice!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this image is delightful! I love the contrast between the yellow, green and brown. I like how the gingko leaf is cradled and framed my the green and brown leaves. The only change I might make (and I’m not sure about this) would be to slightly darken the brown leaf in the upper left.
Well seen and well done!

1 Like

Dang I love this image… so nice!

1 Like

Hi Subhasish! I love the earth tone color palette of this, with the exception of the bright yellow gingko leaf, which stands out nicely against that background. I really like how the green leaves weave their way through the frame. The balance of green and brown are nicely composed and nicely spaced throughout the frame.
The wetness of the scene helps to increase saturation. A polarizer would have removed or lessoned the glare, most noticeable at the bottom of the frame. The edges of the frame are clean with no clipping, which is not an easy feat with a subject area this busy. Excellent job there! So, is the bright leaf being centered an issue? Not for me. Works fine. I particularly like how the “black holes” serve to increase separation within the frame. Excellent and complex composition. And a final thought on “style.” Don’t worry about it. It can be difficult to quantify and it’s practically impossible to consciously create. When you get recognizable style, others will let you know. Good job.

2 Likes