Tree branches

Tree branches captured at Söderåsen National Park (southern part of Sweden) in the late autumn.
Olympus E-M1 + zoom 12-40, 1/8, f/14, ISO 200, 40 mm.
Normally, I try to frame the scene already in the camera but here I cropped rather much.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any comment appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comment appreciated, but especially regarding the color of the branches

2 Likes

For me, this is a lovely but busy shot, super sharp and those greens just ‘zing’. The dominant area of the image is the branch to the left, making the right side slightly less significant; I therefore wish the left side were taking up slightly more space within the frame. A minor detail too, I’d be tempted to crop out the horizontal twig BL which would then make the image into a very nice square format with the main branch ‘coming out of’ the corner or near to.

Lovely image. I love this type of chaotic forest image with interweaving branches. Your photo presents a lot of interest to view. I agree with Mike. On first glance, it feels left heavy. There are branches there on the right that you might be able to use to balance the image out. Not sure if it would work in practice, but one option might be to pull back on the luminance on the dominant branches on the left and dodge up the branches on the right to make them more prominent. They’re behind some smaller twiggy branches, but that might be enough to make the right feel more prominent.

Thanks for sharing and welcome!!

This is an interesting abstract where the moss branches dominate and the others have a supporting role. There is a good left to right flow that gives the image structure. I personally find the bright branch in the center a bit distracting because it goes counter to the flow and is a bit too dominant. I would clone it out.

I love this kind of abstract image and you created a very pleasing one here! It is very interesting here that the small background branches make a solid wall. I’m never sure of the best color for green moss, and I will usually use a Selective Color adjustment layer to play with it, but I think you have a good color here. Before reading the comments above I also thought I would crop just a tiny bit from the bottom to remove the heaviest part of the horizontal branch, and try to hide the gray branch that angles through the middle – maybe by darkening it and coloring it a little toward green or brown.

Welcome Ola. Please send us more of these extracts from Nature. You had a fine eye to see the potential in the apparent jumble.
I could not resist playing with this. On the right, I emphasized the greens with saturation and lightness. I also saw that you have some amber accents from dead leaves throughout the scene, and I pushed saturation and lightness of those. I cropped, a sliver of the bottom and a slice of the top. The top slice diminishes, to me, the power of the inverted V at the top center, which takes me out of the scene a bit. Others might like the power of the inverted V, I understand. Oh yes, I like the energetic counterpoint provided by the bright branch going against the flow.
Also, if you want to experiment, saturating the blue hues can add some pop.
Again, welcome … keep the images coming.

1 Like

Smaller scenes like these are definitely challenging and need a simpler approach. It’s a bit too busy to my liking and chaotic, especially the right side. @Dick_Knudson take is a much better approach. Think with some content-aware or cloning, you could eliminate a few branches that cross over the green ones.

@mike19 @Adam_Bolyard @Igor_Doncov @Diane_Miller @Dick_Knudson @simeon Thank you, I really appreciate your input. I will for sure go back and try to improve the photo based on your recommendations.