Tree Skeleton

In the Schoodic Peninsula section of Acadia National park, there is a wonderful environmental zone where the spruce forest comes almost right up to the rocky granite cliffs along the Atlantic Ocean. This edge between forest and sea is rich in photographic opportunities because of it’s interesting flora and details. In this section of coastline, there are the weathered skeletal remains of several dead trees. The spindly shape of this tree reminded me of children’s jacks, with its spikes and the way it leaned at a 45 degree angle.

I also tried this image in B&W, but I liked it better in color because of the strong greens from the blueberry bushes and the spruce.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, 144mm, ISO 100, 0.6 sec at f16.

3 Likes

I like this image for it’s emotional impact. It does remind me of the cypress trees at point lobos, California. Those trees are more bluish than what you have in this image. You could adjust the colors to match the mood of the dead tree if you wanted to by reducing the yellows somewhat. But that cyan blue would probably not be right here. I like the tonal contrast between the tree and the dark background. Yes, that tree is really in your face. I like that about it.

I think what I like the most is the contrast between the weathered gray of the tree against the lust green around it. Nicely seen. I have tried some images of interesting old trees like this but have never been able to make them work.

I’m with you on keeping this in color, the contrast really makes the dead tree branch pop.

There’s also something I always find visually enticing about a dead branch situated dramatically among vibrant, green flora all around. I’ve taken a few of this kind on my own hikes as they tend to catch my eye.

That what looks like a blueberry bush is growing over part of it, lends your image a “literary” quality.

I really love this image, Ed. It’s almost kind of sad, because it looks like the tree is refusing to die, while life is just going on around it. I don’t know why it struck me that way, it just did.

Ed,
This is an image that needs to be viewed large to appreciate all the subtle nuances in the scene. You handled the grey/white tones of the dead evergreen perfectly IMO and they contrast beautifully with the surrounding green tones of the forest. Even in death the tree still maintains it’s grace and character as it nourishes it’s surroundings. I particularly like that one section of lowbush blueberry as it seems to be caressing the tree with it’s gentle embrace. Beautifully done and get eye to spot this beauty.

This tree still beautiful at the end of his life. Showed in a speaking image. To my eyes well made.

@Vanessa_Hill @Ben_van_der_Sande @Igor_Doncov @Ed_Lowe @ariella @Richard_Teller
thank you all for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

That’s exactly what I had in mind when I found this tree. There were several nearby dead trees lying completely flat on the ground, but what I liked about this one was that it refused to lay down, as if it was still holding on.

Those are indeed wild blueberry bushes on the ground, in October they turn a brilliant scarlet red. This is from September 2018, in the LRC you can see some of them just starting to turn red. I may have to go back in autumn sometime and see if I can find this tree again.

Imagine an echo of everything said above. Somewhat off track, but this image put in my mind a phrase most often associated with the 17th and 18th centuries - “a lady in reduced circumstances”. That is to say a woman who has hit some hard times, but is holding her head up high and coping as best she can. She is strong and resilient, but eventually will succumb. In the meantime though, she won’t make it easy.

2 Likes

This is really lovely, Ed. I like that the tonal contrast between FG & BG is so stark but the BG is still readily visible when you want to explore that. You also handled the saturation of the greens and yellows very nicely - well saturated but not distractingly so. The brightest limb exiting the left frame seems to grab my attention and there seems to be a bit of extra space on the right side. The extra space isn’t super noticable but I think cropping it would help.

In playing with it, I whittled the bright limb a little and cropped a little off the right side.

Original

Revision

1 Like

Ed, Just spent time looking at the large version and totally enjoyed it. I can see why you thought about b&w but it works so well in color. I love the contrast of the grays in the dead tree against the lush background. Excellent work seeing and photographing this!

@Kris_Smith @Bill_Chambers @Nick_Bristol
thank you for your comments, glad you enjoyed the image.

Bill, in terms of your rework, I like what you did on the left side, cloning away the branch exiting the frame helps (this was a tough subject in that regard). But I think the crop you did on the right side makes things feel too cramped there for my taste, and I prefer the right side as originally presented.

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk ,I love your composition here. Everything seems to be resting in it’s place…
I do understand why you keep the color on the image but my suggestion is to darken all those Blueberry bushes - mainly darken everything except the dead tree and the spruce greens.