Tree Swallows + Repost

I just reprocessed this image from the spring. I was thinking of cropping in further but I’m not sure.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D7200; 290 mm; ISO 100; f/6; 1/2000 sec.; Hand Held

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Perfect timing, Nick. Right place at the right time and camera ready. I love that the one on the post seems to be letting the one in flight know that the post was taken. The greens to me seem to be a bit over saturated. If it were mine, I think I might would crop some from the right and off the top a little, just to help the subjects not feel so center. Nice detail in the birds and post, and the rest is nicely blurred. Great shot.

Nice action/interaction shot with good detail in the birds. I could see decreasing the saturation in the water , which seems to compete with the color in the birds. Agree with Shirley about cropping some off the right and perhaps the reeds at the top. Also, there is a green reflection on the underside of the birds that could be removed. Overall, very nice capture.

I think this is a cool image. Tough action shot with the speed of swallows so kudos on that capture.
I do agree that the saturation of the greens overwhelms the subjects a bit. I played with a targeted adjustment to touch the greens. Also brought a little light to the chests of the birds and tried to lighten the eye of the bird on the post, but nothing there to brighten (at least in the jpeg). Cropped just a bit more. See what you think.

1 Like

Thanks Shirley, Allen & Keith. I agree with your comments on the green. I like the crop Keith. I have to go back and work on it a bit,

I took all of your advise and cropped in and de-saturated the green area. I forgot to mention that this along with many other images from this trip were accidentally underexposed by about 3 stops due photographer error.

1 Like

I like your edit and repost. I will add the word “Repost” to your title just to let people know that you have reposted.

1 Like

Thanks Shirley! I didn’t think to do that.

1 Like

A good job on the repost, Nick. The colors are much better. The action and relative positions of the birds are great in the image.