Return of the Swallows w/Repost

Rework with Sky toned down:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)

Not to Capistrano, but the Pacific Northwest. They’re everywhere, jostling for nests and mates.

Yesterday we finally got a sunny day and blue sky to help show this one off.

I’m hoping to get some in flight shots this year, although they are fast little suckers…

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/1000 sec @ f/8, ISO 320

They sure are fast, David. Ours started showing up the middle of last week. We don’t have a horde yet, but quite a few. I need to get off my butt in the morning and get some images, this one is really nice with excellent detail in both the whites and the blues. The sky feels a little intense for the Northwest.

Thanks Dennis,

The weather was pretty impressive yesterday, with clear blue sky and full on sun. I actually dialed the sky back from what the camera measured…anyway here’s a version with the sky toned down more. Any good?

Saw my first of the year three days ago. Nice look at this one and nice perch. I prefer the second sky.

The second sky looks like what I’ve been seeing the last few days, David. Back to normal spring weather tomorrow.

Nice catch of the swallow David with fine exposure and details. Interesting perch. Good job on the repost.

@Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks thank you for your help. I have posted the reworked image at the top.

Thanks again.

Very nice image here David. Perch is almost a subject of it’s own and I like the over the shoulder glance you caught, as well as the catchlight in his eye. I only have one swallow shot, poking his head out of a hole, but just wasn’t sharp. Your repost does show some improvement, but at the same time I think the sky is sometimes bluer than we think possible.

1 Like