A Little Late

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)

Last Spring, I had the opportunity to photograph the breeding season of Tree Swallows at a local Refuge. Each spring they put out dozens of nesting boxes. The swallows arrive, argue and fight over the boxes, and mates. They finally settle down for mating, nesting, laying eggs. Once hatched, the little ones grow fast and before you know it, everyone’s gone.

I was standing in a lookout station, noting that everyone was gone, and this fellow landed on the closest box, bringing nesting material for his mate. I’m pretty sure this was his nest during spring. I kinda felt sorry for him…they all left him.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated. I posted these for the story, not necessarily any specific critique.

Technical Details

840mm, 1/500sec @ f/11, ISO 320

love the story; love the images.

I copy @Jim_Gavin 's comment. There is always something interesting going on in nature.

An interesting story, David and a couple of fine images. Oddly, our Tree Swallows will nest at least twice in a season. And boy do they love feathers for nesting material!

Very cool! And a great story! I love the second one but both are so nice!

@Jim_Gavin, @Han_Schutten, @Dennis_Plank, and @Diane_Miller thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.