Tuff houses

In Tuscany there is an area called tuff area where some villages and a town are built of tuff. Sorano is one of these villages. I and my faithful dachshund strolled for a long time through its narrow and dark streets with all the houses made of tuff. I tried to capture the atmosphere.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comment and any advice.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D850, Nikkor 23-70 at 34 - 1/500, f/8, ISO 1200

2 Likes

@Giuseppe_Guadagno this is a very interesting shot, I really like it a lot.

The Moderators are moving this image to Non Nature critiques. The posting guidelines for Landscape critiques allow human made elements, as long as they are not the main subject of the image. For the subject matter you have here, it is entirely manmade, and we are moving it to Non Nature. This is not in any way a problem Giuseppe, we just wanted to make you aware of the guidelines, and get this image in the appropriate place.

With that said this is an excellent image, which is wonderfully composed and processed. The colors, shapes, and texture are beautiful and just work so well together. I particularly like that you have multiple leading lines (and paths for the viewer to follow) in the image. you don’t see that very often, but for me it works really well here. Great work !!!

An excellent photo. I had not heard of Tuff until your post. Learned it is volcanic rock and ash and must be at least 75% ash to be called Tuff. Thank you for the education and photo.

Giuseppe, this is outstanding. I love the lines of the street/walkway leading me back into the scene. The textures are fantastic, and the colors do remind me of Tuscany. Would love to go back someday.

Wow! This is a compelling image, putting the viewer right in the scene, walking down that street. I love the gray-blues in with the browns. The alternate pathway up the steps is wonderful, as is the light!

This is an excellent image. Love the warm/cool tones, the shape and texture of the stone and the paths. There is a lot going on but your composition brings it all together really well.

Double WoW from me. The composition, textures, and buildings are arranged and captured perfectly. Wonderful image -be sure to congratulate your dachshund . The dog should always get part of the credit. What is tuff? Most interesting and successful image.

Larry Greenbaum, the tuff is a vulcanic material used by the Romans before Christ then by the Etruscans. Sometimes still used nowadays for its qualities: light, easily workable, resistent.

What an engaging photo, Giuseppe, great lines and color tones. Wish there was a just a bit more stairway.

I love this image Guiseppe. The material looks ancient…I guess it is! Anyway, I love this little scene and especially love that people live in these tuff houses!

Stephen Stanton. Yes I wish too but a vase stands in the way. Thanks for your interest.
Thanks Ed McGuilk, Jim Gavin, David Bostock, Diane Muller, Harley Goldman, Larry Greenbau, Stefen Stanton, Mark Muller for your rewarding comments.

1 Like

This is gorgeous. Amazing what these craftsmen (and women) can do. The colors and textures create a coherent and evocative image.

This image has amazing textures and exquisite detail. I do like the second view slightly more than the first with the more complete staircase. The view is more engaging to the eye. Awesome…Jim