Tug of War

It was amusing watching the heron eating what I assume are some sort of worm. It moved with considerable stealth as it snuck up on an essentially motionless worm-though now I wonder if too heavy a foot causes the worm to seek lower ground. The heron was intent on eating and allowed me to get fairly close.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon has 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 275 mm; 1/800 at f 8.0; ISO 200

This is tremendous, @Allen_Brooks - the head angle shows the gap in the bill and I love the look of effort. Really great plumage display, too. Such terrific texture in the legs and the sand. Glad both of your stealthy approaches were successful.

1 Like

Wow, that is awesome. Love the comp and the “expression” on the Heron. Wonderful.

1 Like

Great timing and equally great shot.

1 Like

Good capture Allen, the plumage looks great in that light, (that’s a pretty determined worm…but I’m guessing it lost in the end)

1 Like

Excellent exposure and detail, Allen. The unusual prey really tops this off. I think a bit more canvas on the top would be helpful. It feels rather crowded up there to me.

1 Like

What a fine confounded expression you captured, Allen, and crisp details throughout the Great Blue’s plumage. I also thought it was just little tight at the top of frame. But such a cool image.

1 Like

A finely crafted image with unusual action. The exposure, detail, color balance are all exceptionally well done. I do agree with Dennis about a little more space on the top. But that’s just a minor detail in an image of this quality.

1 Like

Hi Allen,

A little more room at the top and maybe pull down the highlights a tad so that some more details can be revealed on the top of the heron’s head. The pose is excellent and it shows the amount of skill needed for a heron to obtain a meal. Well done…Jim

1 Like