Turkey anyone

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On my first tripe into The Wells National Research Reserve, I came across a group of Turkey walking between two houses and an open field. There was a rather large feeding station in the back of the second house, so these Turkeys must visit on a regular basis. Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

These two photographs are brought to by the wonders of DXO PhotoLab 6’s DeepPRIME XD, ISO of 12K & 8K. Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm & 1.4ext, f10, 1/1600 and cropped by 40%.

Both very nice images, Peter. It’s interesting how wild turkeys have recovered pretty much everywhere (except in my neck of the woods-and I don’t think they were here to start with).

Nice portraits Peter. I like the grandeur of the first one. So regal and full. I guess turkey day isn’t that far away.

Peter, do you pay modeling fees? I like the fact I can see most of the bird in the first picture. I like the background better in the second picture. The crop at the bottom of the second picture seems a bit tight. Just a bit more grass would help. The very dark green bush in the first picture demands a lot of attention away from the bird. I think most of the very dark portion could be cropped. I would also decrease the saturation of the green in that area. It would be easy to do with the TK9 filters. It could also be done by masking the bird and then working on the background to desaturate it and possibly lighten it to blend
Turkey anyone edit
in with the rest of the background.

Hi Peter, really nice catches of this gorgeous bird. I like the poses of both and the feather patterns/details we get to see. The head turn in the first image is great. Even though I like both images as is, I could see playing around with a tighter crop on the first coming in from both sides. I’d leave the saturation as is to maintain the full vividness of the image. Well done.

Hi Peter–I like the first one because of the pose with slightly puffed feathers and the light is revealing some of the colors present…Jim

Hi Dennis, Mark, Barbara, Allen & Jim
Thank you for the comments, Barbara I could not open your post. Here is a repost with some crop adjustments to both shots and on the first photograph I lowered the green saturation in the background and increased the red and brown saturation on the Turkey.
Peter

I like the way you captured the iridescent colors on the first turkey’s feathers. You must have caught the light just right to get that. Whenever I shoot turkeys I have trouble catching that.