Twins

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Mike and I decided to make a short trip to Trap Pond SP, DE last Friday as the weather forecast was calling for some light rain and that sounded like the perfect conditions for some excellent autumn color photography. I had been there briefly twice before without much success. This time the results were a little better as I did capture half a dozen images that I think I like.

Trap Pond SP is home to the northern most naturally occurring stand of bald cypress trees in the US. The park itself is 3,653 acres so there is lots more to explore next year.

Specific Feedback

I am fairly pleased with the image, but if you notice anything please let me know.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 130mm, f 13 @ 8 sec, ISO 100, CPL, cable release & tripod.

3 Likes

Ed: Beautiful scene and I like how the long exposure softened the water. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

I do notice something: How beautiful it is. Shouldn’t change anything.

1 Like

I think that the long exposure added to this image’s effectiveness. I’m not sure how calm the water was in the first place, but this exposure definitely smoothed out the reflection and increased the wonderful saturation. Robert Engle

1 Like

Ed, this is a lovely, peaceful view. Your planning (cloudy, light rain) shows the colors very well and the long exposure lets the colors and shapes of in the reflections show very well. This is very nit picky, but you might remove the three long lighter reflections in the lower right and the one higher up, near the left middle edge.

1 Like

Bald Cypress in Delaware? Who knew?? But you found a very nice view of these two. For me, an image like this with a lot of detail in the upper part and a very quiet reflection is difficult to frame. I think you did a very good job, with the “horizon” in my favorite position, fitting the rule of 7/16. My only suggestion is maybe a slight gradient burn from the bottom.

1 Like

@Ed_Lowe, I really like the subtle beauty of this image. The warm colors and the detail in the upper part of the image balance nicely against the blurred echoes of the trees in the water. My only suggestion is to show a bit less of the water in the frame.

1 Like

Many thanks everyone @Bill_Fach, @Jim_Gavin, @robert21, @Mark_Seaver, @Diane_Miller and @Patrick_Campbell for your thoughts and suggestions; always appreciated. I will play around with the suggestions and see what I come up with.

@Diane_Miller: I was pleasantly surprised when I found this state park last year. I definitely plan on returning next fall and exploring some more.