Twisted Branches

This is an older image that I reworked recently. It is of some twisted branches i found on the ground on Santa Rosa Island at Gulf Islands National Seashore. Certainly not what you would call a scenic shot but I was kinda drawn to them because of the texture of the bark, the contrast, and the collection of pine straw, pine cone, and the little bits of cactii at the bottom.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any & all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any & all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Shot with Nikon D2x, older Nikkor 28-70 @ 40mm, 1/15 @ f/16, 100 ISO, Tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@simplynatureart

4 Likes

Bill,
This is a nice part of seeing on your part. The pine straw color dried branches work very well. The details and location of the pine cone and cactus add just enough interest in the lower third to make this work very well for me. My only nit is the upward angled branch entering the frame from the left is grabbing my eye a bit. Maybe a touch of cloning it out might help. This is still a really wonderful small scene that was worth the rework.

Lovely - the cool tones of the gnarly branches contrast beautifully with the warm pine needles. I could see cooling the gnarly trunks even more, in the lower 2/3 of the frame; the uppermost 1/3 looks bluer to me. But that’s a nit pick.

Bill, I really love this image for the textural and color contrasts. It looks like a shot I would have taken. Your composition gives a really great proportion of the shrub branches to the pine straw and kept all other major elements our of the frame. Well done.

I wonder what a slightly darker image would look like and how it would affect the mood of the image. I also would experiment with a different aspect ratio such as 4:5 since to me there is just a bit of empty space at the bottom of the frame.

Excellent work, Bill. Love the composition and the color combinations work really well. Just a delightful intimate scene. Would love to se more like this.

Bill , this is a beautiful intimate landscape. It just goes to show that there is beauty in nature everywhere, and in every type of light. We only have to train ourselves to look for it. This image has gorgeous color, light and texture, it’s very nicely done. I agree with @Igor_Doncov, I would like to see more of this type of work from you in the future, you did a great job with this one.

@Alan_Kreyger, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Matt_Lancaster, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk - Thank you all for your kind words, comments and suggestions. Alan, Bonnie, and Matt, I really appreciate your suggestions. They make sense and I will incorporate them in a re-work.