Twists and Turns #2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This trip to Hershey Gardens was one of those times where I just wasn’t feeling it and felt like I was spinning my wheels and wasting my time. Mike and I specifically went to the gardens to try and catch some nice backlight. It was supposed to be intermittent clouds and sun, but all the clouds decided to stay away that day. I wanted to try some additional comps, but the strong sunlight made that impossible.

I did come away with this image which I was fairly pleased with although I did wind up cropping off the base of the maple because it was just not working. Anyway; enough moaning.

Specific Feedback

Just wondering if if the darker limbs bother you? I originally exposed for the highlights and didn’t worry about the shadows. I brightened them up just a little, but I didn’t want to go to far with it.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 14-30 @ 22mm, f 16 @ 1/60 sec, ISO 100, CPL, cable release & tripod

The very dark limbs make this photo what it is. Great image.

1 Like

Thanks @Ronald_Murphy for the kind words. The graphic twists and turns of the limbs are quite amazing.

Ed, I love the rich colors and the dark framing of the limbs here. I think you should experiment with lightening the shadows and see if you like the effect.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_Williams , glad you liked the image. I will lighten them a little more and see what I come up with.