Two for Salmon Dinner

It had been pouring rain and as I was driving down the Dayville Road (which runs along the South edge of the Valdez Bay) I saw a black bear feeding on spawning salmon. I pulled over to take photos of it and recognized the bear as a sow that had cubs. The cubs weren’t in sight at the time (which is normal if the sow just arrived at the spawning stream) but as I was shooting photos of the mother, the two cubs suddenly came running out of the brush to join mom. This is one of the frames I shot just as they cleared the brush and headed toward mom. It wasn’t raining at the moment but they were still sopping wet!

Specific Feedback Requested

It was a very low light situation and to get decent shutter speed I had to use a high ISO which my Sony 1.5 crop camera unfortunately doesn’t handle very well. It was a pretty noisy shot but I think it turned out decent. Opinions would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 600mm (900mm w/crop factor), ISO-2000, f/6.3, 1/500, hand held from my truck window.

Excellent, and especially so given the conditions! If you had noise, it cleaned up very well!

They are darling, Gary! You did a great job capturing both of them nice and sharp from your truck window, with them on the run. Really nice shot.

Twooo cute, Gary. An excellent capture.