Helping Mom With the Security Check

One of my favorite rainy day Black Bear shots. Every time this sow Black Bear would bring the kids out of the brush to feed on spawning salmon, the first thing she would do is scan her surroundings for any possible threats. Normally the cubs would just jump right into the stream or start playing but this time one of the cubs seemed to grasp the importance of what Mom was doing and decided to help her out. I love the look of seriousness and concern on the cub as it emulates Mom!

Specific Feedback Requested

Because of the low light I had to use a fairly high ISO to get the shutter speed I needed for action shots and my camera gets pretty noisy at 3200 ISO. It didn’t look too bad in this shot but I would like to know what others think.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 496mm (744mm w/crop factor), ISO-3200, f/6.3, 1/800, hand held.

1 Like

Love this, Gary. The expressions of each of their faces is wonderfully captured. As for the background noise, from my computer, I don’t see anything. I think that is due in part to the background/ foreground textures, which are busy but don’t interfere with the focus on the bears. Not sure this is making any sense, but the photo works great for me.

Perfect pose, Gary. Nice catch indeed.