Ubehebe patterns

This is from Ubehebe Crater, Death Valley. It was getting dark and I was heading back on a rim trail when I saw these patterns. I think these were about eye level, higher up on the crater wall, but not sure (my first time there and details are fuzzy). The explosion causing the crater was ONLY 2,000 years ago! :slight_smile:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I tried B&W but it didn’t do much for me…the orange specks and blues won out.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500, 200mm, f/8, 2 seconds on tripod, ISO 500.

A very nice abstract of the volcanic layers. I agree with you decision to keep the color. Maybe you’ll get to witness an eruption on your next visit. :slight_smile:

Mark, this is a fine looking abstract. I’m getting special pleasure from the large version where I can better see that the patterns arise from an extensive series of ridges but still have no clue as to the actual scale. Well seen.

Lots of layers in more than one sense here, Mark. I love the composition, though I do think different lighting that brings out the topography more would make for an even better image. This looks very evenly lit, which tends to disguise all those great ripples.

What a great abstract from Ubehebe! Looks like you chopped it up and rearranged it. I agree on the color - those orange specks make it come alive.

Mark: Terrific abstract with no real sense of scale and a lot of wonder regarding what it is. Well seen and superbly captured and presented. >=))>

Thanks everyone. Crazy and beautiful place, Ubehebe Crater.

Exceptional layered abstract with fascinating detail and color. Well seen!

the diagonals keep the eye moving in the composition, getting me to revel in all the fine details.

Fascinating patterns and textures in this Mark! I agree that the colors are very important for the overall effect and to accentuate the layers. Great choice for the challenge!

@David_Schoen, @marian, and @Gary_Minish, thanks for taking a look and sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you see what I saw!