Under ice

Description: The “lens” of December ice over these Beech leaves turned them into a rich, wonderful miniature landscape right in the middle of a small stream.

Specific Feedback Requested: What works for you about this image?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Pentax K-7 at 1/30th and f/7.1 at ISO 200 and 150mm

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No, a single image

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

2 Likes

Lovely contrast of the warm color with the cold ice. Shows transition of seasons from autumn to winter. I’ve bee trying to get something like this lately, but we don’t get any heavy ice. I wonder about cropping a little off the left side just to eliminate the bright ice on that side.

Thanks, Chris. I cropped a bit and cloned out a couple of the other bright spots. Much improved.

John, the mix of ice shapes and warm tones in the leaves below are very inviting. You don’t give shooting parameters, but this would be improved by more depth-of-field. The slightly soft bit, sticking up just below dead center is a distraction.

Thank you, Mark. The parameters are listed: Pentax K-7 at 1/30th and f/7.1 at ISO 200 and 150mm. While I appreciate the suggestion for more depth-of-field, it is, of course, too late for this image but will be a useful reminder in the future. Also, I just dipped back into the LR catalog and see I have several more images made that may work better.