Frozen leaf

Beech leaves, not matter when or where, are a favorite to photograph, here frozen in new ice, already fading to pale.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Sony 6000, 1/400, f/13, 200mm, ISO4000 with adjustments to tone curves in LR

6 Likes

My first thought was; “Wow”. . . and my second thought was; gorgeous, John. The thin ice has allowed you be able to capture all the detail in the bed of the pond (?). The subtle lines in the ice are outstanding. . . .and that leaf! Well, John, great capture!

Hi, John. My first reaction is one of curiosity. Your image begs me to look at it over and over and try to discover more details, especially in the leaves to the right of the subject. Then there are those thin lines in the upper half of the orange leaf. Nature is amazing, and you captured that beauty in this nice image. The lines on the ice also maintain my eyes engaged. No matter where I look, I see more lines. Nicely done.

Outstanding and well seen! The colors, shapes, and textures in this image are special.

Thank you all. Grateful that the image engaged you!

1 Like

Beech leaves are irresistible. Sadly there are none where I live now. I like the bold leaf shape and the central vein all in yellow, but wonder if you could tease out some of the lines of ice that point to it. That might up the ante here. Maybe a tiny bit of dodging would do the trick. Such an interesting little scene full of detail and wonder. Fleeting, too.

I moved the texture slider in LR. Interesting how much it changes things.

I love it. It has a lot going on but in a calming way. The colors are warm and inviting. I think it would also do well as a B&W version.

I certainly see more texture and depth in this rework. The leaves under the ice are now clearer. I also see what seems to be more grain in the area to the right of the red leaf. It is an intertesting re-edit.

Interesting, but a bit much IMO. One of the things I’ve been doing lately is applying clarity to just a certain area of the photo - usually a luminosity value like mid-tones. So far I’ve only done it in Photoshop, but I bet you could do it in Lightroom with the luminosity masking capability. I wonder if you just applied it to highlights if it would bring up the ice pointers more independently. Just a thought.

I really like this one. The ice cover just makes this image amazing. I like your original post best.