Under the Canopy + Rework

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any
Taken with Rebel T7i, 24-105 f4L, this is an extreme crop from 3:2 aspect.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Welcome to NPN. Your composition is quite good. I like it. One suggestion is to increase the amount lawn at the very bottom and/or perhaps darken it’s bright sunlit areas. They really draw the eye.

1 Like

Duane,

Welcome to NPN! Glad to have you here.

My comments/reaction are quite similar to Igor’s. I really like the pano crop you’ve chosen, really showcasing the blossoms and extending branches of the tree. And you’ve chosen a pretty good depth of field to keep the blossoms sharp and let the bg start to fall off out of focus a little. Also, good combo of the back-lit colors of magenta and the limey, spring greens.

Igor also mentioned the grasses at the bottom. I call this a case of the “’ 'tweaner” that means this is right on the border of wanting more on the bottom - or no grass at all. As a viewer, I’m not clear if you wanted to include the grass, or you were trying to minimize it. As presented, my thought would be to bring those bright values down along the bottom edge (and or desaturate.) OR, if you have more at the bottom from the original, to bring back more of that grass (and still darken/desaturate.)

Just a couple of minor thoughts. The extreme pano crop works well overall.

Looking forward to more from you and your participation.

Lon

1 Like

Welcome aboard. I would agree with Igor and Lon, especially with the “tweener” concept Lon articulated. The bright edge of grass pulls and holds my eye there as is. I might also experiment with some additional Photoshop blurring of the background to further emphasize the shallow DofF. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your comments.

1 Like

Thank you Igor, Lon and Harley for your insightful and helpful tips, it is greatly appreciated. I use Canons DPP currently for most of the processing and an old 2003 version of Photoshop Elements. I still have a lot to learn about the processing and use of the tools.

Welcome to NPN Duane. My preference of the two posts is the second for its composition however the first has better back lighting for the trees. The newer versions of PS have a spot healing brush tool that would allow you to remove the fence.

1 Like

It’s interesting how the first has a graphic, 2-dimensional look where as the second looks 3 dimensional due to the revealed bottom of tree trunks.

Yes, it really does bring the form\shape of the Redbud to life. I had not observed that, thank you.

I prefer the first image for it’s composition (the fence is a major distraction, rather than a framing element IMO), but i prefer the color and processing of the second image. I think it is the processing of the second that seems to make the redbud separate from the background. i would re-process the first image to make it look more like the color/contrast of the second image.

This is a rework of the second image. Removed the fence with content aware in Photoshop, detail extractor in NIK, and Brightness/Contrast in Photoshop. What bothered me about the first image was that the trees were not grounded. Hope this helps.

1 Like