Unfolding

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What is your initial reaction?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Created from a 8 stack of images. Processed in lightroom and photoshop.

First impression – ho-lee-cow!! Wonderful!!! It’s amazing how ferns can do this. I think a version with more restrained saturation could be good – the color almost competes with the amazing subject.

1 Like

My first reaction is “holy saturation, Batman!”. Like Diane I feel the over-the-top greens and clarity are overwhelming an otherwise fascinating subject. This reminds me of Royal Fern, but Im not sure which kind it is. Fascinating bits of detail here including what I think are spore-bearing fronds front and center. The focus looks to be good behind all that added contrast. I think backing things off a lot will help make this a terrific close up.

1 Like

Thanks, I will look at toning it down. I appreciate your comments and yea, “ho-lee-cow” fits I did get a little over the top.

I can see that toning it down would probably be a good idea. Thank you for you comments.

My expletive was about the wonderful subject, not the saturation! I can see how you got a bit excited to see this!

1 Like

Absolutely amazing, stunning, Carl. The detail is exquisite. As for color saturation, I must leave that to those who have better monitors. I just totally enjoying the image.

1 Like

Great detail, and I agree about toning down the saturation a bit. But it’s a tip-top bishop’s crozier.

1 Like

It’s like a whole other world in here. Quite a compelling composition.

1 Like

Absolutely wonderful. A fern, like people, sometimes need just the right amount of time to open up to their full potential. I can get lost for hours shooting in a field of ferns. You captured it beautifully with the close up getting all the textures to show. Beautiful.

1 Like