Fern Drop

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

During the winter season, I stumbled upon a captivating fern at a nearby botanical garden. What caught my attention were the intricate patterns adorning its fronds, accompanied by a solitary water droplet that lingered from the morning’s watering.

Technical Details

Handheld with 70-200mm. Canon 80D, ISO 800- f/18- 1/400.

2 Likes

What a beautiful image! I like how you captured the patterns of the fronds with the space between the fronds almost forming that same pattern. The black and white works great for this image, and I like how there is a small sunstar on the water droplet :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really love this! The bnw is perfect for the shot. The only thing I would consider is changing the orientation to portrait with a closer crop, showcasing the water droplet.

1 Like

Very lovely and unusual for a fern photograph. I can see what Derika is saying, but I like that it takes a moment to discover the droplet. Also, I like the wider crop more. The one thing I would change is toning down the light in the background on the right a bit. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I agree.

They look like a chorus line of dancers. That was my first impression.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Derika, changing the orientation and cropping as you did is something I am defiantly going to consider.

1 Like

Thanks Holger, I will look at toning down the light on the right in the background. Thanks for your ideas and comments.